Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

PlayBook Wifi WPA2 Authentication Issues (also on BlackBerry 10)

For the past week or so I've noticed that on certain WPA2 networks I can't connect (even though I didn't have any issues on the same networks over the past 2 years)

I'm begining to believe that something changed in the latest OS release that broke some of the wireless network authentication.

Specifically my network(s) are:

WPA2 (Both Enterprise (usr/pass) and Personal (just a pass))

Visible SSID

Security PEAP / AES / EAP

Any non PlayBook/BB10 DA device can connect, but not my BlackBerry devices.

Note I can connect with laptops, iOS devices, Samsung phones/tablets, Windows surface Tablet etc. so I'm definately feeling that the BlackBerry/QNX setup has an issue.

More specifically I've checked  and re-checked my username/password (and reset them from scratch multiple times but the error message always implies there is a username/password error. Even after multiple reboots.

Precicely:

Attempt 1 of 3

Connecting to Network

Associating

Associated to Network. Waiting for Authentication

Authenticating

Unable to authenticate against the network <-- ERROR

Invalid username or password <-- ERROR

I think this message is misleading. I think the actual issue is when trying to make the authentication/handshake the device can't make the connection with the router/switch (for whatever reason (cert/security/keys/...) but the error message is a default one for password failures.  It would be **MUCH** more helpful if the error explained exactly what was going on.  e.g. "Wireless Access Point Certificate received could not be authenticated"... or... "Security/Encryption settings for this network do not match the Wireless Access Point configuration"

If the issue really is with the username/password, then my basic plaintext username/password is actually getting munged before sending.

Finally to add to the frustration - as soon as the BB device has issues connecting to the wireless network it immediately sets that connection as disabled.  Which means I constantly have to re-enable the connection to even try to connect on it.

Note: I'm also a BlackBerry App Developer and would be more than happy to try troubleshooting this issue with BlackBerry and/or beta test a new OS version or patch, or send logs.  I've got several PlayBooks, a DA, Bold 9900 and several other non-BlackBerry devices available for testing.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
hatchback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: PlayBook Wifi WPA2 Authentication Issues (also on BlackBerry 10)

Hey Steve_web,

This issue can be caused when MAC address filtering is enabled on the Wi-Fi network, and the MAC address of the BlackBerry Playbook is not accepted. Try adding the MAC address of the BlackBerry Playbook to the accepted MAC address list for the Wi-Fi network and test.

The following article may be helpful as well:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi and networking on the BlackBerry PlayBook

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB26096

Also if you contact the BlackBerry PlayBook support team they can do log review to determine the cause; you can find the contact information here: http://us.blackberry.com/legal/blackberry-playbook-complimentary-support-plan-terms-and-conditions.h...

Thanks.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
Developer
steve_web
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900

Hey thanks for the follow up!

Yeah if there is any sort of log analysis that can be done I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Its incredibly frustrating when other devices around me can connect in the blink of an eye but my PlayBook not only fails to connect, but shows what is IMHO the wrong error message.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Please use plain text.
gmd123
My Device: Playbook

Changed from WPA2 to WPA. Problem gone.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

Problem might have been gone earlier if you had used only AES with WPA2.  Just a thought.

Please use plain text.
gmd123
My Device: Playbook

AES with WPA2 is what was not working.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TOF
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook 64
My Carrier: AT&T

Router and PB?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

gmd123 wrote:

AES with WPA2 is what was not working.

That is the recommended combination that I use all the time.  WPA with 802.11n is not compliant with latest standards. Other tablets care less for standards. Blackberry is the only one in the squad marching in time...

Avoid (WPA+WPA2) settings found on many routers. Search for Knottyrope's other tips.

Corporate networks using things like peap certificates are a different matter.  nightmare.