Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Tesco

PlayBook keeps losing WiFi network signal.

When I am viewing my emails I am repeatedly getting a message at the top of the list of emailss on the left-hand side that there is no Wifi signal and the network is lost.

I tap on it and the signal is restored.  It is happening too often now and is a great inconvenience.  Its as though my signal is unstable, but I also have a computer on the same network and my 9780 and I have no problems with either of those.

So what's going on?

More to the point - how do I cure it?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860, Z30
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re: PlayBook keeps losing WiFi network signal.

Unplug your router for a minute then plug it back in. This will reset the router.
Contributor

Hi, (again!),

I've tried that and it still keps ccoming up with a message saying "Please connect to a network and try again", this is accompanied by a yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark in it (!).

It is doing this regularly as I stated before, but I have no problem with my phone or my laptop.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: wifi only

is your router wifi set to N using two channels 20&40 MHz (300Mbps), my Playbook keeps losing connection on this setting.

if so try dropping it down to N using one channel 20MHz only (150Mbs), mine is fine with this setting.

last resort would be setting the wifi to use G (54Mbs), very slow wifi.

Contributor

This information is a little above my head I'm afraid.

All I know is the router is a Netgear and was bought about the beginning of January, 2009.  It'd pretty basic I think and you just plug in and go.

I think some of the later ones have buttons on them now where you cn connect by pressing this.

If there are setting that cn be made via software I am not aware or au fait with how you do this.

The router works well with my laptop and my wife's laptop and we have a HP printer on the same network.  My BB 9870 seems to be OK as well, although sometimes I am not sure because it tells me sometimes that I haven't got a connection when I switch off the phone network and just work with the WiFi.

I know with all things BlackBerry, e.g. App World, I have to have both up and working for verifiction purposes, but for simple browsing I only need the WiFi.  I switch off the phone network in the event that I might inadvertantly use my allocation up on my contract, if you see what I mean.  I digress!

So still none the wiser!  

Forums Veteran I

Your router will have a sticker on it somewhere that gives its model and serial number. It may also have the network password on it. With this info you can go to their website. Do this part from your computer. You connect your router to the computer by cable. On their website there should be a firmware uograde. It will be software fir the router. It will tell you how to do the upgrade. You will need the Network Name (SSID).
After the upgrade the router will reboot. Next there will be a wireless section where you can make changes to the settings. You will want the mode to be set for 802.11g. Then you will want the security setting to be WPA2. Next will be the data encryption. Select AES/PSK. Somewhere along the way it will want a Key (password). This password key may be on the label stuck on a label on the router. If not it may be on the original CD that came with the router. You may be allowed to install a new key.
That should be it. Reboot the router. Restart all your computer equipment. You may have to enter the Network Name (SSID), Network Key (Password) and the wireless settings on each piece of equipment. This should do it.
You can also check on this site for more information on router settings written by Knottyrope. I will look for it and repost it here if I find it.
Forums Veteran I

Here is the writeup on Routers by Knottyrope
Speed up BlackBerry Wi-Fi connections a knottyrope tip [ Edited ]
Options
‎01-03-2013 01:53 PM - last edited on ‎01-07-2013 11:28 AM by Chronos

These knottyrope tips might help you out. This is not an end all solution but I have come across these issues in the past years. Go slow and document what you do. Worst case is resetting your router to default and starting over.

Router running latest firmware? Update it as many are shipped with and old version as they sometimes sit on a shelf for months.  Also a Wi-Fi router more than 5 years old might not work well with multiple devices.

Using a Hidden SSID? You should never hide SSID - hiding SSID is a violation of the 802.11 spec and this can be a pain with setup. Most new devices can see them anyways.

Using the same SSID as your neighbor? This is not good, you need a unique name or it can try to connect to both. I have seen NetGear 5 times in one neighborhood and after a simple name change you can have fast Wi-Fi

Using 2.4 and 5 ghz on one single SSID? This can be a burden, drop it to 2.4 and it could make a difference. Newer routers support a separate SSID for both frequencies.

Using WiFi B? If not using B then disable it or a rouge device might try to connect and knock your speed down to B speed.

WEP vs WPA? Not all N devices support WEP or WPA, Best to use WPA2 if all devices support it. Don’t try both WPA and WPA2 as some devices get confused. Some Wi-Fi routers do not support WPA2 AES-CCMP just AES, see if yours supports it. Most newer routers do have accelerated AES encryption but not for WEP. Older encryption methods will be slower.

WEP can be hacked in minutes not matter what password you use. If you have no choice but to use WEP, use only one WEP key as some devices will not know what to do with the other ones. Remember thath this encryption method will be slower.

Channel speed settings 20, 40 or both? Try 20 as most will work on it. Some devices will not like 40 only or even set to both. Check this on both 2.4 ghz and 5ghz on dual SSID routers. Using the default channel your router was setup with? Try a different channel other than the common 6 or 11 channel. Use the Auto Channel hopping feature if your router has it, mine didn’t work but it may for you.
Using Multiple Wi-Fi routers? place them on separate Wi-Fi channels so they don’t interfere.

Newer routers do QOS better so don’t be making this change right away on a newer model. older models with QOS for WMM Wi-Fi multimedia and VOIP priority on older models may not work well. if you don’t need or use it, don’t enable it. I turn off all QOS settings with great results since we don’t use the features.

Does your router only support 1 VPN connection? If this is the case then you might not be able to access BIS over Wi-Fi when other devices are using it or VPN. Many newer routers support 4 or more VPN connections.

DNS servers slow? Try OpenDNS.org and see if speed improves.

MTU matched up? Not a common issue but this can be a fun one as not all routers will set it to your ISP setting. 1500 is a standard but you can try 1492 for DSL lines or ones that use PPOE.

Using Extended range? If you don’t have matching card for your brand router it might not work well. Try turning it off.

UPNP turned off? Turn it on as your device may setup some port forwarding rules.

Using ISP modem and your own router/Wi-Fi router? Don’t enable NAT on your own routers as Double NAT can cause connection problems.

All port speeds matched? Check your Router WAN port speed, mine was set to 10Mbit by the ISP before. Also make sure its set to correct duplex mode and match it with other equipment.

Using cordless phones? Replace your 2.4GHz cordless phones with either a 900Mhz or 5.8GHz style so they won’t interfere.

Use Wi-Fi sharing on a PlayBook? It’s important to switch off AP Isolation if your router has it. Mine has it on by default

Custom firewall rules can be fun, try to allow default and slowly make changes and take notes on what you enable or disable.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals
BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info. SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope
No Sleep Till BlackBerry 10, A BlackBerry Song by Lil E Click here to listen
See me at BlackBerry Fans Get Hands-On BlackBerry 10 Demo
Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here
Contributor

Thanks for all that - you have been extremely thorough!

I will try this but first I am going to try it on another network first.

I am going to my Mum's tomorrow and she is set up with WiFi.

If I get the same problems - will this prove anything?

By the way did you get the other information I responded with regarding my mini keyboard?

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I

The other network may not behave properly either but then again it may. I have setup about 10 playbooks. They were all setup on my network and none of them have had network problems wherever they went.
I saw the comment on the mini keyboard.
With all the above information about routers and network settings, you will be a pro with networks after you finish. Just follow the hints above.