Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
nykamps
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

PlayBook local calendar and address book no longer works

I took delivery of a brand new BBC Bold 9900 today. The setup went very well and all seems to be working fine, including the bridge. I am registered with Gmail and have also used my Gmail address and password as a BB registration ID. My PlayBook calendar and contacts worked fine before as I had set it all up with my Torch 9800. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Derek

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBPogo
My Device: Curve 9350
My Carrier: Telus

Re: PlayBook local calendar and address book no longer works

Have you tried to reboot your Playbook? I've found similar issues that are often times resolved with a reboot of the system.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nykamps

Thanks for the quick response, Yes, I have tried rebooting with no luck.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Gmail recently announced that they were doing some "winter cleaning" and have discontinued the MS Active Exchange Sync they used to use for importing gmail accounts to mobile devices.

They have already discontinued MS EAS for the calendar and will discontinue it for email on January 30th.

Basically they don't want to support non-android devices and, of you choose not to buy one, they want you to use a google/gmail app.

They are supporting imap/caldav/carddav which is open source and doesn't require licensing, so the current workaround is to import your calendar as caldav. After January 30th gmail users will need to import mail, contacts and calendar each separately as imap, cardav, and caldav respectively.

If you google "gmail winter cleaning" you'll find the reports with additional info and what, why & how.

Best,

Gum
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nykamps

Hi Gum.

Thanks for your knowledgeable answer to my delema. I now have a brand new PlayBook and Bold 9900 which to say the least I am rather disappointed in. I have used Blackberries for years now and am rapidly loosing confidence when the majorplayers ie Google muck about with perfectly working applications. I am a bit confused as to what product I should be snuggling up to........

Thanks again

Derek 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBPogo

I'm curious to know if Google winter cleaning is on select accounts. The reason I ask is because it hasn't affected my Google calendar as of yet. I'm still receiving updates to my Playbook and BB phone via my google calendar. Also the google blog indicates a Jan 4th shutdown which is still a few days away...

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I just signed up at outlook.com

You can even have it get your gmail from it too

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BBPogo

Yes, I have an @outlook e-mail already that actually forwards all the e-mail to my @gmail account :smileyhappy: ha ha

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

@BBPogo - according to what I read the change doesn't affect existing syncs, only new syncs set up after the respective cut off dates. Google Calendar Sync was discontinued on Dec 14th. The Jan 4th date applies to several other features in Google Calendar.
Ref http://thenextweb.com/google/2012/12/14/google-to-shut-down-calendar-features-google-sync-google-cal...

@nykamps: I feel your pain. I use BB's and i's but have little interest in using the google apps on either and am not interested in android. Am beginning to wonder where to go for a web-based personal email acct that is device-independent. To think.. I've had my gmail acct for about ten years, but Google seems light years removed from the motto and spirit they started out with. Shame - they used to be the good guys.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

I should clarify, though, that none of the Google changes mean we won't be able to use gmail on the native mail, calendar and contacts utilities in our non-android devices, just that we will have to import each aspect as distinct imap, caldav and cardav accounts. It affects push vs pull sync apparently, but am not yet sure what impact that will have over the course of a day.
Please use plain text.