Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
gmgruman
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

PlayBook not starting up; red light dounle-blinks

After a couple days of use, the PlayBook stopped starting up. The red power light double-blinks when plugged in and turned on, but that's it. Is there a way to reset the device? The device was not droppd, hit, or otherwise "hurt."

Please use plain text.
Contributor
arosenbe
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: PlayBook not starting up; red light dounle-blinks

Try a hard reboot (hold down power button and the volume + button for 10-20 seconds)

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gmgruman
My Device: 9800

tried that; doesn't work. Can't reinstall the OS fro Desktop Manager either: Itr sees it but hangs when tryig to update.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
My Device: 9700 & Playbook
My Carrier: Mobilicity

I have the same problem... I thought it was a chargin issue but It's been charing for the the last 2 days..
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Tony86
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

Hi gmgruman! :Batman:

Try connecting the PB while it's off.

Turn it off, then connect it, open the latest version of the DS and if the PB tries to turn on, press power key until it's off again.  You'll see the option to upgrade on your computer.

Please give kudos or mark as a solution if this helped you!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BonM
My Device: PlayBook and BB Storm 9530
My Carrier: Other

Hi!

You should try connecting it to you PC using USB, it won't turn on right away, wait 15 or 20 minutes before attempting to start it. After the 15 minutes try to perform a hardreset, holding the power button for 10 sec or so and wait, do it a few times every 15 mins, This way the Desktop Manager will attemp to connect and update the software. If it doesn't maybe you should go to the place where you bought it and have it changed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
blackjack93117
My Device: Bold 9700

This issue is addressed to some extent in the thread Play book wont power up or light just blinks 

This may not be the same issue since you have a double blink - would be nice if RIMM would step in and explain the LED codes somewhere (HINT HINT)

The above poster did not mention that you have to hold THREE buttons - both + and - volume and the small red power button and you MUST have the BB charger that came with the unit plugged in while doing this. 

The playbook apparently does not charge unless booted, and can't boot with a dead battery unless you do this three button thingy.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BonM
My Device: PlayBook and BB Storm 9530
My Carrier: Other

Hi! Were you updating the SO when it stopped working? or had you recently updated it?

Because usually when it blinks twice is because the OS wasn't correctly or fully loaded.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Tony86
My Device: BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK
My Carrier: ICE

gmgruman wrote:

After a couple days of use, the PlayBook stopped starting up. The red power light double-blinks when plugged in and turned on, but that's it. Is there a way to reset the device? The device was not droppd, hit, or otherwise "hurt."

Hi gmgruman

Maybe this KB can be useful KB26748

Here an extract of the KB as well:

BlackBerry PlayBook fails to boot and displays flashing red LED in sequence blink blink pause

Update the BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System using BlackBerry® Desktop Manager 6.0.2:

NOTE:  This is one of the only acceptable use cases for BlackBerry Desktop Manager to be used when reloading the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

It may take up to an hour to complete the BlackBerry PlayBook software update.  During that time, do not disconnect the BlackBerry PlayBook from the computer.

1. Connect the BlackBerry PlayBook to a computer running BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.2.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Update.

• To download an update, click Get Update.
    • To view other available versions of the BlackBerry® PlayBook OS software, click View other versions.  If applicable, select another version.  Click Install.

3. To receive an email when an updated version of BlackBerry PlayBook OS is available, check the box Email me when new versions are available.
4. Click Install update.

After the BlackBerry PlayBook OS update is complete, disconnect the BlackBerry PlayBook from the computer.

Please give kudos and/or mark as a solution if this was helpful! Thanks!!!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
flathat
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

In my case the battery was also exhausted.  The battery apparently does not get recharged very much during the Update; the real re-charge needs to be done after the Update.  I mistakenly used the charger for my BlackBerry Torch, but it recharged anyway.  And didn't blow up.  The LED was green and pulsed dim to bright during the recharge.

Should I have been surprised that after both the Update and Recharge that all my data (photos, paid-for Kobo books) was lost?  And that my Kobo registration was lost?

Any idea that a computer without a disk doesn't need to be backed up very often has been erased along with my data.

Red light double-blinks.

Please use plain text.