Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Zerologix
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Re: PlayBook not starting up; red light double-blinks

Update: Just as predicted. After about 45min with tech support (I'm not kidding) of connecting the ORIGINAL charger for  2 minutes then disconnecting for 1 min (process was repeated 23 times!!!) I am sending the Playbook back RMA. I've had the tablet for about a little under 3 months. Really disappointing. Couple of suggestions mentioned:

1) charge the Playbook while it's on

2) Purchase the Rapid Charging Pod (wasn't about to purchase more things for this thing)

New Contributor
dhalyk
My Device: Playbrick

Re: PlayBook not starting up; red light dounle-blinks

Its great that it worked for you but if anyone from RIM is reading this that we have to go through all this BS just because the battery was drained is beyond lame. 

I have a Playbrick not a Playbook at this point, not working and not impressed. My Motorola Xoom is fine BTW.

I bought the thing because I thought I'd do some app development on it but at this point its a paperweight.

New Contributor
dhalyk

Didn't  work for me and as I said in an earlier post who designs stuff to work like this? Buy the rapid charger??? Yeah right, at this point I feel like just tossing the thing in the trash.

On a separate topic did anyone else notice the playbooks have a funny smell when you get them, its a weird plastic smell is the best way I can describe it. Hopefully nothing harmful, but I've never noticed that before with other products including other RIM products.

New Contributor
dhalyk

Actually thinking about this its a common theme with RIM products, why not design the thing so if you plug in the charger it will run off of it even if the battery is totally dead, I've lost track of how many times I had to wait for the retarded "Battery too low for Radio Use" message to go away on my Bold. If I have the frigging thing plugged in it should just use that power not the battery power. Its DUMB DUMB DUMB. 

After inserting and reinserting the charger plug about 50 times - 10 times is nowhere near enough (insert, wait for red light to go off, remove wait 10 seconds re-insert) I now get a very dim screen with a low battery indicator so it will probably work in an hour or so. 

Its too bad senior management was more worried about which Hockey team they were going to buy instead of keeping their eye on the ball. Stuff like this is the end result. So no QA was done on what happens if a user totally drains the battery? Yeah I can see how that seems like such an unlikely senario.... NOT!!

My advice: ALWAYS KEEP THE THING CONNECTED TO POWER, I had shut mine off and did not use it for a week when I went to turn it on I got to play in this "Party".

New Contributor
dhalyk

Its alive.... what a joke all because I didn't plug the thing in and what really sucks about this is that I shut the retarded thing off properly because I knew I would not be using it for a while, after this great user experience I don't see much point in developing anything for this platform. Perhaps "Zune2" from Microsoft will be better than this... we will see tomorrow.

New Contributor
mwfencer
My Device: Blackberry 8820

Re: PlayBook not starting up; red light dounle-blinks

I had this same problem. I had let my Playbook battery get so low that it wouldn't turn on and ut wouldn't charge. The red LED would blink twice, pause, blink twice, etc..On the Playbook, charging the battery is a software function which is why it turns on whey the charger is hooked up. If the battery level gets too low, it won't charge. The only solution is to hook it up to my computer. When I hooked it up to my Desktop Manager, it would try to load the OS but it would go on and on and then finally shut down before finishing. This went on for over a week. Finally, I realized that the Play book cannot charge up and download the OS on the USB connection at the same time as there is not enough power. When I hooked up the 3 pronged Playbook Rapid Charger and then connected the Playbook to my desktop with the USB cable, I was able to download the OS and it only took about 1.5 hours. When it was done, the battery was only at 9% and I had to leave it on the Rapid Charger until it reached 20% before the Playbook would allow itself to complete the download  setup. Hope this helps.

KIMZY2013
My Device: play book 64

hey guys i did what one of the threads said it works so for all u poor people that got the play book as a gift for xmas and is thinking hey its not working try holding down the three buttons for a 30 secs make sure the charger is pluged in it will come on 

New Contributor
ajdjpok
My Device: playbook

are you sure this works?

why playbook keeps on crashing ?

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

ajdjpok wrote:

are you sure this works?

No it doesn't help in this instance. And it's just the power button these days. The three button reset went a year ago.

ajdjpok wrote:

why playbook keeps on crashing ?

People let them get to like 5% charge then put them away on standby. Death sentence to playbook batteries!!

If the battery gets anywhere near low you must Charge immediately.  

If that's not convenient turn them off with the power button held down for 20 sec and wait for the screen to go completely black, not just black with backlight on.  Then charge as soon as you can get to a charger.

Bottom line is the charging mechanism needs some of the operating system to monitor it. With no charge at all there's no changing circuit so we need those stack charging tricks.

What BB should do is TAKE BACK ALL PLAYBOOKS THAT HAVE DEAD BATTERIES AND REPAIR THEM AT WHATEVER AGE.

BETTER YET RECALL THEM ALL.

My Device: Blackberry 8820

Tex, you are correct. Anybidy who puts their Playbook away for even a couple of days while it is on 'standby' and not turned off, is asking for trouble. The Playbook will drawn below the 5% charged level and have big problems.  If the Playbook falls below the 5% battery level, it will not start up and the stack charging tricks will need to be used. Also, the Playbook can't charge and download the software at the same time as it slowly gfoes dead. However, I found out that using the 3 prong rapid charger while using the usb cable to download the software will work.