Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

PlayBook power button - SCANDALOUS !

[ Edited ]

Finally saw a PlayBook live in a store today.  So glad I canceled my order from ShopBlackBerry after it was delayed.  It would have been returned anyway -- that standby / power button is scandalous!  Maybe there's some other way to wake the thing up, but I couldn't figure it out.  NO way would I put up with that.

The only worse button design I can think of is a CD/DVD drive button refusing to stop and eject the disc while the computer goes on and on trying to read some bad track, completely hung up.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Re: PlayBook power button - SCANDALOUS !

If you swipe from the extreme bottom of the device to the extreme top, it wakes up.  (or left-to-right, top-to-bottom, etc.)

The only reason to ever use the power button is to turn the device on after it has been shut off completely.

The store model may have had one of the early recessed power buttons.  Newer models are more accessible.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Teeceman
My Device: Blackberry Playbook & Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: O2 UK

My 64 gig Playbook power button is fine, this was a known problem and wildly reported and solved on newer manufactured units.

Not Scandalous, just an issue that was not picked up during testing and Q&A and fixed like many companies do when they encounter an issue like this, i.e.. Revision.

Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

The model I saw had the button flush with the top, so it took a fingernail and mine are too big to push the button.

Thanks for the tip, but I'll bet a lot of other people didn't know that either and gave up trying to wake the thing up on the store display.  Maybe it would be good for your marketing if pushing any of the other buttons woke the screen up for 5 seconds with an iPhone-like slider so people know what to do.  It's disconcerting to be holding an item that appears completely dead.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Teeceman
My Device: Blackberry Playbook & Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: O2 UK

Yes, I agree to some extent. 

When I first played with the playbook I vaguely remembered that it had active borders so that was how I woke it up, so perhaps not prior knowledge may make it dificult to comprehend especially if the power button is recessed. 

Perhaps the display models should have a sticker around the bezel indicating how to switch it on similar to something like the Kodak picture frame.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
reconeyes
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

The power button is fine where it is, I like how it is not easy to push. Imagine putting your device in standby everytime you turned the volume down, then you would have something to complain about. There is a reason it was designed this way. Plus...I have rarely had to push it...well done pb engineers!!!!
Please use plain text.