Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Turd_Ferguson
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB

PlayBook will not charge, battery at 10% and icon shows charging

This began yesterday, right around the time I received the notification for the OS update (not related I don't think, as the other PB in the house was unaffected).4

I currently have the PB on a rapid charging pod and there is a message on the screen stating "Please connect your tablet to a power source." The icon shows the battery with the lightening bolt in it, indicating that it should be charging, but it isn't. It was at 16% when I noticed this issue, and each time I disconnect the power for a couple of minutes the charge decreases, but it will not increase when connected either via the charging pod or the USB wall charger (both are BlackBerry accessories).

I can't seem to find anything related to this particular issue, only those that relate to the battery fully discharging. That is not the case here.

Any assistance or direction would be appreciated.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: PlayBook will not charge, battery at 10% and icon shows charging

Try a couple of things, move the charging pod to another electrical wall outlet, try the OEM USB plug charger that came with the device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Turd_Ferguson

Both of those things have been attempted. As mentioned the USB charger is the one that came with the PlayBook, and I have relocated the charging pod to several different outlets. Same issue.

JSanders

Ok, of course I don't know what all you've tried.

Try restarting the PlayBook, touch the battery icon > Restart. LEAVE it connected to the charger while doing this.

Have you tried that yet?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor
tirgoman
My Device: Playbook 64, Z-10, Q10

If the lightning icin is there it indicates charging, leave it connected to the PB and unplug the charger from the wall while watching the icon, the icon should go away when unplugged and come back when plugged back into the wall.  If that checks out then with the PB plugged in do a restart, touch battery and then restart.

New Contributor
Turd_Ferguson

Here's what I've tried:

Several restarts with the device both connected and disconnected to a power source. I know that the PlayBook has to be on in order to accept a charge (very bizarre). When the device is off and plugged in, the LED flashes very slowly (yellow colour).

I've wiped the device after performing a backup. The device doesn't seem to drain at all while it's connected to a power source, so it's maintaining the battery level it currently has, but will not increase. When disconnected from a power source, it does decrease. After I did the wipe I got to the Disclaimer portion of the registration and it froze. I'd heard about this before and just did a soft reset, which resolved that problem. Then after setup was complete, it went back to the same screen indicating low battery but that the device was connected to a power source.

I unplugged the charger from the wall outlet while the PB was still connected, and the battery icon remains but the lightening bolt that is inside it when connected disappears. When I plug it back in, it reappears.

I've restarted the device while connected to a power source. No issues with restarting, but once the screen comes back on, it goes back to the same message indicating I should connect it to a power source and that there is 10% batter life left. The icon indicates that it is connected to a power source.

At this point I'm not sure what else can be done. I've read some information about "stacking", but I'm not sure what that means or how to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions. If there are any more, I'm all ears.

JSanders

Turd_Ferguson wrote:

I know that the PlayBook has to be on in order to accept a charge (very bizarre).

Nope, that's not the case any longer, hasn't been since the 1.08 OS upgrade, if I recall correctly.

Turd_Ferguson wrote:

When the device is off and plugged in, the LED flashes very slowly (yellow colour).

That's good. It should, and it indicates there is a charge.

Turd_Ferguson wrote:

When I plug it back in, it reappears.

And, that's good. It should be charging. Give it several hours 4-5, and while still connected to the charger, press and hold the power key about 20 seconds.

Knowledge Base Updates
Visitor
StevenBB
My Device: playbook

I have a similar problem

After noticing that the charge went down to 20%,  I plugged it into the rapid charger stand, and left it over night with the charging icon on, This morning it was at 13%.

Turned the playbook off and left it on the charger all day. Now it is at 0% still with the charging icon on

This is with OS update 2.1

New Contributor
Turd_Ferguson

I left the PlayBook connected to the charger overnight (powered off), and when I turned it on this morning, I immediately got the audio alert for low battery and it's now at 9% charge. I'm going to try leaving it connected for a few hours with it turned on this time and try out the power button suggestion, but at this point I'd have to say that it looks like a defective battery to me. I can't think of anything else that would be causing this. If it were a faulty USB there would be no indication of connection, and even if it were that, the rapid charging pod I have doesn't use the USB connection and I find the likelihood of both power connections being defective simultaneously to be a very low probability. I'll post once more when I have tried the last suggestion.

JSanders

I am not sure of your PlayBook OS release, but in a Playbook on OS 1.08 and greater, it will charge while off.

And, the LED charging indicator characteristics have changed in 2.0.1.358.

Details here:  Article ID: KB26808 The BlackBerry PlayBook tablet is unable to charge when powered off

Knowledge Base Updates