Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jeffyerkey
My Carrier: AT&T

Playbook 2.0 cannot connect to Gmail

[ Edited ]

Well RIM BlackBerry Playbook 2.0 is here and it's dissapointing to learn that it is just as big a pile of %Y%#  as 1.X.  

Cannot set up Gmail through any of numerous different ways. (Gmail, IMAP, Exchange... you name it.)  All different ways generate all different kinds of errors such as cannot connect at this or username and password is wrong.

It's really great to see we waited 8 months for nothing.

Anyone have any helpful ideas?

— Jeff

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
jrsc109
My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Re: Playbook 2.0 cannot connect to Gmail

I found that if I switched off Two Step Verification it works a treat.
Love Me - Love My BlackBerry
-------
Z10 OS Version: 10.0.10.690
Z10 Software Release: 10.10.90
PlayBook - 2.1.0.1526
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

That's a GMail feature, not a PlayBook problem.

Some suggestions for others having GMail issues:

1. try via Wifi, not via Bridge.
  2. in Gmail (desktop)
    • reset your password. An old or weak password is treated with suspicion by Google.
    • go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP, make sure IMAP is enabled.
    • go to Settings > Labels, make sure all System labels are shown and shown in IMAP.
    • go to Settings > Account and Import > Other google account settings and disabe 2-step verification
  3. from the PB browser, go to https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha, type your e-mail and password and tap Unlock
  4. in PB Messages app, remove and re-add the Gmail account

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffyerkey

Innovatology

You make an excellent point about 2-step verification. I had "cleared" the Playbook via web browser, but I will have to consider turning it off for now.  Good suggestion and I will keep you poseted.

— Jeff

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Allan_Vancouver
My Carrier: Bell Canada

See my post in the Crackberry forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/2-0-gmail-activesync-instructions-700842/index...

There is a bug or defect in the automatic and advanced methods of setting up a Gmail account with all functions active: email, contacts, calendar

A

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffyerkey

Hi all you PB 2.0 folks,

So I turned off Google 2-part auth and the PB was able to create my gMail account instantly.  Thanks everyone!!!!!

— Jeff

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gg99
My Carrier: none

I have tried a few tiem browser before I connect but that was problely my typo  on teh password

I was lucky I got notice of two part verification will not work the momemt I started to add gmail to account.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Allan_Vancouver

I see no reference to 2-step verification under Accounts and Import. What exactly is it and why is it not in my settings?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Allan_Vancouver

OK I found it under Other Google Account Settings, but it has always been Off. So I tried adding a Gmail account from scratch on my second Playbook and the screen displaying the 3 sliders for Sync still do not show up and all I get is email with no Contacts and no Calendar. So my previous reply still applies: Gmail is unpredictable and broken as far as adding an account to the Playbook is concerned.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
zeoswj
My Carrier: rogers

I had my gmail working fine yesterday but today it won't work. I have tried everything listed in the above comments and nothing. even reset my gmail password. What are we to do???

Very frustrating

Please use plain text.