Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
gg99
My Device: playbook 16Gb

Re: Playbook 2.0 cannot connect to Gmail

[ Edited ]

I have multiple  ID added to my PB Accounts. No problem there unless I mistyped the email address or password, or forgot to turn on the WIFI

Please try

- ensure your GMAIL account allows multiple logon or ensure you log off from GMAIL from all other devices

-delete the problem account again and start adding to PB account again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tpchmara
My Device: Playbook

Thanks, but it's actually working fine, concurrently, in a browser window and on my Android phone (using an ActiveSync conduit, much as was being used on the PB).  Only the PB has this problem.  I suggest the problem is with the PB Message app  - if it were Gmail, I would expect to see at least one of these other platforms would be similarly affected. But only the PB stopped receiving updates late February (and when I went onto the forums, lo! and behold! found that others had enjoyed the same experience) - the Android client was still chugging along, Given the scenario it's hard to imagine how this could be laid at the feet of the Gmail infrastructure.

And thanks for the suggestion, but it's hard to do any surfing for investigating this prob without the WiFi being turned on (one of my regular checks is that I can continue to log in using a web client in the PB browser).  Though it's of course something to check.

I have a prob report in to RIM's support line, see what they come up with.

Tom

Please use plain text.
Graceelsie
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I am a very new user who has just found this forum. Could you tell me how to do this please? I can't seem to find the way to delete the Gmail profile. TIA Grace
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tpchmara

Just an update - I contacted BB support.

1.  Email support is **bleep**.  I got a reply suggesting I should switch to POP3/SMTP - which worked, until I sent a reply message (which asked when the Activesync interface would be fixed, as you can't get push and you can't sync calendar/contacts with POP3), at which point the view of all emails (save the one I'd just sent) on my gmail account *disappeared*.  Then, two days later(!) the support rep replied that she didn't know why I was complaining, all my calendar/contacts should sync fine!  RIM needs to spend more on good help.

2.  They did spend a LOT more on the folks on the phone line.  They recognized the scenario, and the fix was completed within an hour.

The issue:  I had loaded OS2.0 the day it came out, over WiFi.  Apparently, there've been some hiccups from this.

The solution:  Turned the PB off, and plugged it into my computer (with BB Desktop installed) - it prompted me to reload the OS.  Once I did that (and reloaded my apps from the App World) Everything Has (so far!) Been Fine!

Tom

Please use plain text.
Visitor
jcchan

I've read all the tips on this forum plus many others but still cannot get the Playbook Messages and Calendar apps to work with my Gmail account. After weeks of trying, I think I'll just give up and use the web Browser version of Gmail/Calendar instead. No sense spending so much time and trouble trying....

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BMWBarrister
My Device: Torch 9800 + Playbook > Z10

I get the same problem. It is strange. I reset my router last night and that seemed to fix the issue and then I was receiving gmail emails on my PlayBook. Then, all of the sudden it stops working. This time resetting the router did not fix the issue.

I get the same error message that "The server for account Gmail - XXXXX@gmail.com [m.google.com, port: 443] can't be reached... Check your settings and try again."

Frustrated with RIM (again).

Please use plain text.
jchakotay
My Device: Bold 9900

I too am having this issue on my PB running 2.0.1.358 - very frustrating as the 2.0 Messages app is so good!

The issue - I cannot send or receive mail via the native Messages app on the Playbook and my Calendar does not sync. My email service is Gmail, syncing three accounts. This problem started to occur around six weeks ago.

How I've tried to troubleshoot -
- Turned PB off/on
- Removed Gmail accounts, then tried to re add - this produced 'the m.google.com server is not responding' error. I cannot add my Gmail accounts over my home Wi Fi network.
- I then tried a factory reset - this did not fix the issue (lucky I backed up).
- I've also tried adding the Gmail account as a: Gmail, ActiveSync and IMAP (Accounts -> add email -> advanced setup option) all to no avail.

- Don't use 2 step verification w/Gmail.

I did find the same intermediate resolution - If I try and add the Gmail account on the PB while connected via bridge to my Bold 9900 it does work (but Wi Fi has to be switched off - on the phone and the PB). As soon as I switch to Wi Fi, I cannot use the native Messages app. 

Interestingly, If I try and add the Gmail accounts while connected via Bluetooth tethering to my Bold, it also will NOT work (or if my Bold is connected to the home Wi Fi). Further to that, if I activate Wi Fi hot spot on my Desire HD (Android), I can add the accounts and send and receive email! 

I wonder if this is something to do with my Wi Fi router/ISP? I doubt RIM could have got this so wrong? I haven't tried this theory on another Wi Fi network.

I love the messages app on OS 2.0. Really wish it worked properly. Any help appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BMWBarrister

[ Edited ]

tpchmara wrote:

Nope.  Tried resetting via Gmail, have account currently deleted and it always fails in the settings config pane after I've added in my credentials and touch the "Continue" button:  I get

"The server m.google.com for account (emailaddress) is not responding.  The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline.  Check your settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again."

Disappointing to see this thread persist for so long - also disappointing to see this problem continue, unresolved.  Looks like my first BB device will be my last BB device, the ASUS Transformer Prime looks like a better option at this point, or maybe wait for the ASUS Transformer Infinity - there just isn't enough market attention to BB anymore, and it would appear the BB dev team is overloaded with keeping up.  Too bad - good company, good people, just maybe not enough runway left.

Sigh.

Tom

Tom,

Unfortunately I had the same error message. I ended up reinstalling the OS. You need to turn off the playbook and then connect it to your computer with blackberry desktop manager running. Click on the option to update the playbook and it'll download and install the most current OS. Note, this process erases everything and takes a couple hours. 

My accounts seem to be working well now. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gg99
My Device: playbook 16Gb

Looks like there are still many people struggling with their wifi router. The new reliable wifi router are cheap and once a new generation wifi router  setup properly to wpa2 with AES encryption in single mode and good password, update via wifi is not problem as long as the PB was restarted and connected with wall plugging power. Never attempt to update with low battery level.

Of course, if you have good, fast  land line connection, Lan with desktop manger can be faster

I never had any trouble with upd via my wifi router.  My gmail, hotmail..etc works fine on the  messages, calendar, contact...  I have done updates since last year over wifi

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BMWBarrister

I meant Tom.* Sorry for the typo. I was typing from the PB.

Similar to another person that posted, I was able to get gmail working/updating when it was bridged to my blackberry however it didn't update once it changed to wifi. I would then have to reset the PB when it was bridged w/o wifi in order to get email to work.

In any event, I did have the same issue you did and tried all sorts of things to no avail until I did a complete OS reinstall. That seems to have fixed it for now. Good luck.
Please use plain text.