Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Z30

Playbook 3G+

Hello,

I got a Playbook 3G+. I put in a VF SIM card and try to upgrade from 2.0.1.688 to 2.1.0.1088 or newer via OTA and with the Desktop client. But nothing work. Is there a possibility to downlaod the firmware from RIM and install it with the Desktop client? What else can I do to get the new firmware. Or why  I do not get it over the WLAN network.

Super Contributor
My Device: pb

Re: Playbook 3G+

[ Edited ]

Not many people yet have these SIM carrying playbooks and the 3G+ UK version is even newer than the US/Canada 4G version. All we know so far is that all updates must be approved by the SIM provider. RIM knows from the serial which these are.

So if the Playbook is under contract from Vodafone you need to ask Vodafone. If it's unlocked and you just put in a SIM you already had, nobody knows how you get updates at the moment. 

My Device: Z30 / Playbook

its possible you're trying to install the software for the WiFi only version of the playbook and that may not work.

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/software-updates.html

this link shows how to check for updates using WiFi and the desktop manager.

If you've had the device less than 90 days you can get free support from blackberry to verify this.  Here is the #

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

The support team can not help me.  I try another SiM card from German Telekom but I don't get a note to download Playbook 2.1.0.1088 for Playbook 3G+. I read some notes in some forums regarding the software update. Some people said that they did not get it. Some posts were from the first week of December. No new news about but I also got no answer at the moment.

Super Contributor

Is your playbook unlocked, or under contract from the sim provider? As you have tried vodafone and german telekom sims I am guessing unlocked?  If so I don't think you will ever get updates without RIM releasing the serial to their update servers. 

You are right. My playbook is sim lock free. I can use every sim card I want.. So, I have to wait....

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless you get RIM call center to support your unlocked pb you may have to wait forever.  Could try crackberry.com for an unofficial fix.