Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
dah90
My Device: Bold

Re: Playbook App Wishlist

RIM needs to get off their collective duffs and fix the bugs, distribute apps and generally do something to keep its current client base.  I love my bb and waited for this be launched.  Fortunately, I waited to read the reviews before I bought it.  I've tested all the other tablets and bb has them beat with the hardware, op sys, sound and picture quality, but they need to fix it for their current loyal users and make it less propriery to gain android and mac  users. I will give them a while longer to get it right because I really want the playbook and think it could be the best tablet out there.

New Contributor
jrburns47
My Device: Torch & Playbook

I don't disagree, but the next gen will be better if RIM is still around. In the meantime, I can ill afford to give RIM $500 based on good will.

New Contributor
milox33
My Device: playbook

why would you need pandora if you can go directly to www.pandora.com.

New Contributor
dah90
My Device: Bold

My point exactly.  I figue 3 to 6 months for the 2nd generation and if all the bugs are fixed, and the apps I want are available, I will be first in line to buy it and upgrade to the new Bold Touch (Montana).  Otherwise,  I may have to lower my standards and go with an android tablet.  There are 3 new ones with launch dates in June that look promising, but my first choice is  the playbook

Contributor
eprklims
My Device: Torch 9800 & PlayBook 64

splashtop remote would be awesome
Developer
brentcameron
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

An Antivirus/Malware protection client..... something like Juniper Pulse so that I can connect this to our corporate intranet.  It's pretty bad when we can connect an iPad now but not a PlayBook. 

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
New Contributor
jtrini
My Device: bb 9700 and bb playbook

i would love to see skype, more banking apps ex. RBC, netflix, ebay, rogers my account
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

@jrburns47 - I'm not quite sure what you are complaining about. Everything you mention is forthcoming.

There are no Android apps in App World right now because the Droid player has not beem released yet and there is no way to submit the apps to RIM.

Some BB app developers have chosen to package PB and BB apps together, some have chosen to keep them separate. That is their discretion. Example - Facebook for BB is a different App World app to its PB counterpart whereas with the BlackBerry World app, you would see it appear on the PB list if you installed it on your BB.

As for running BB apps on your PlayBook, again, the BB player is coming (apparently it will be after the Android player).

So I'm confused. You seem to imply that because you cannot do it now it will never happen - whereas it clearly will.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Trusted Contributor
grissom
My Device: Tour alarm clock

you know having faith in this product is a must. checking periodically is a must also, i am not saying it was cool for BB to release a product that is soooo halfbaked, but i knew what i was getting into...a double edged sword from owning a galaxy tab and not realizing how amazing android is and how amazing the Tab is, but now i think my tab inside this serious puppy and the excitement comes back, for those loosing heart because of the wait, get a cheap android phone, or go to android market, all that loot is on its way! because BB, built it....it will come....
From an Apple or Android device
New Contributor
jrburns47
My Device: Torch & Playbook

@cas118

You miss the point - promotional info for PB implies android app market & BB app market as being part of the package for PB NOW which is obviously not the case. The buyer only finds this out after buying the PB. By the time RIM has all the great apps you're implying we should patiently wait for, there will be a better & possibly cheaper version of the PB but I as a user will have given RIM my $500 for something that is largely unused after initial exploration.

The fact is, for users like me who use BB apps like Thomson Reuters Pro everyday which is available for both BB & android but not on PB, there ARE workarounds. I can simply go to the Thomson Reuters website on the PB. While not nearly as good as the android app or even the BB app, the info is there. That's not the point - the point is expectation of convenience based on RIM PR - although the PB hardware is excellent, the lack of software is extremely disappointing. If there were a 90 day return policy for the PB, then it might be worth hanging onto the PB for awhile in hopes that the developer community would step up but that's not the case so far.

I've tried the three major tablets, ipad, xoom, & PB. They all are flawed in their own way & not practical IT tools for document work - they're for fun activities for the average end user. As a BB user, I've gotten more & more into minor web-surfing for information first on my Bold & then my Torch & been gradually seduced into using BB apps such as the various news & business apps & the occasional game. The lure of the PB to me is as a seamless extension of my Torch with a bigger screen together with BB bridging to be able to use my unlimited data plan for no additional fee when out of range of wifi. The reality is quite different as you know. At this time, the PB is simply not worth it - it's just an attractive toy that's neither a seamless extension of my BB or even close to as good a toy as an ipad or xoom.

Since you're a developer, maybe you should do more developing rather than wasting your time commenting on legitimate gripes of users foolish enough to literally buy into RIM hype - you're clearly not good at PR or you wouldn't be self-righteously promoting RIM vaporware. Rereading your post though, I can feel some sympathy for your frustration as a PB developer since RIM has let you down as well by apparently not providing you yet with the tools you need to actually be developing for PB.