Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell

Playbook - Appworld Fails to Open after 'Upgrade Required'

I've un-installed, and re-installed the Playbook OS from desktop manager, as well as wiping it from the security settings and re-updating the playbook. 2 times each way.

Everything goes AOK, until I opend appworld. A prompt appears stating that  an upgrade is required. When I upgrade it closed Appworld, and when I re-open it, it's stuck on a colorful 'loading' screen and won't load.

If I deleted my wifi connection and re-add it, I can then select updates, it finds a 3MB update, which I run and then I'm right back to square 1. Open appworld, and it prompts for an upgrade.

Has anyone else run into this?

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Super Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Re: Playbook - Appworld Fails to Open after 'Upgrade Required'

Wild guess here but is it a 3G+ or 4g model with no SIM runing 2.0 OS? (i.e. Not 2.1)

Sarah.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like an informed guess :smileywink:

Exactly, I've got a 4g model, running OS  2,   I don't have it here, but I think it's OS 2.0.1.668 or 688.

No SIM card.

If that's the cause, seems like BB goofed on this last update.

I was pretty much ready to root it, and put a different OS on it.

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Been doing some reading between the lines. (Dan Brown fan)

For Unlocked read Unsupported. Unless you get a sim that will be recognized by playbook and with a provider approval for your serial number in blackberry's database you will probably never get 2.1 and your app world will never become blackberry world. The bogus app world update seems to be the result.  

By the way rooting or hacking in another OS or OS2.1 is probably your fix. Won't get help for that here though.

Sarah.
Regular Contributor

Thats the pits.

I only want to use my Playbook as a wifi device, which in this case means it can no longer be used as a blackberry, as I've wiped it, and am unable to get a working install of appworld.

BES 5.0.4
BES 10.2
Exchange 2010
SQL2008R2
New Contributor
My Device: PLaybook 4G LTE
My Carrier: SaskTel

I have the same issue. Even sent it back as I had the paid advance exchange warranty. Why wouldn't thye check this out before shipping me the new one? Exact same issue as listed, 4G LTE, on SaskTel. Called thier tech supposrt and they said to contact BlackBerry. Shall I bother or just let the thing sit as I use it mostly for Apps, some games for kids, etc...Please advise and thanks for any/all help!
Super Contributor

Try tweeting to @blackberryhelp and include link to this post. Whilst BB are seeking a buyer/messiah and they sold very few LTE playbooks, even then mostly on a plan, I doubt they will fix this.

This is where I got my information.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/playbook-apps-world-has-frozen-blank-screen-sa...

Sarah.
New Contributor

Thanks you very much for your assistance. I will try to setup a separate, BlackBerry data only plan and see if that works. Will update when I have more info. Thanks again and I owe you chocolate. :smileywink:

New Contributor

Well, attempting a 'data only' pl;an didn't work. I have emailed BlackBerry support as I do have a current incedent open with them. Hopefully something comes of it. Will update as I am able. Thanks for all the help!

Super Contributor

The data plan will have to be with a provider on blackberry's acceptance database as I understand it. Folk in EMEA /Russia/Far East don't have a prayer.

Sarah.