Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Carrier: Optimum

Re: Playbook Book Reader

[ Edited ]

You can't blame the app developers for this.

It is the publishers that won't allow software other than their own or those they authorise to open the books they sell. And in the current political climate, a developer would be significantly exposing himself to a lawsuit if he developed such an application.

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

susgeek wrote:

You can't blame the app developers for this.

It is the publishers that won't allow software other than their own or those they authorise to open the books they sell. And in the current political climate, a developer would be significantly exposing himself to a lawsuit if he developed such an application.

OK but I bought from app world "Book Reader for EPUB and Kindle books ".  That is very specific. But yes I should have read the small print where it does say drm free. No probs, drm is easily stripped off with another app. 

My Carrier: Sprint

I think the app advertising is very deceiving. It says app to read kindle books.  All kindle books are protected by DRM.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
moirayoung
My Carrier: Rogers

I thought Kindle was .mobi, I had no problem transferring mobi docs.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
susgeek
My Carrier: Optimum

[ Edited ]

Not all Kindle (.mobi) books have DRM. Amazon even has free Kindle books that are free of DRM (classics, etc.).

The description to the app is quite clear (this is the first paragraph of the description):

"Book Reader application allows you to manage and read eBooks on your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. Currently Book Reader supports DRM-free eBooks in EPUB, MOBI (Kindle), FictionBook FB2, TXT and Microsoft CHM formats, support for other formats will be added in future versions."

@}-`-,--
Web Development and Technical Services Librarian
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

susgeek wrote:

Not all Kindle (.mobi) books have DRM. Amazon even has free Kindle books that are free of DRM (classics, etc.).

The description to the app is quite clear (this is the first paragraph of the description):

"Book Reader application allows you to manage and read eBooks on your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet. Currently Book Reader supports DRM-free eBooks in EPUB, MOBI (Kindle), FictionBook FB2, TXT and Microsoft CHM formats, support for other formats will be added in future versions."

Yes but that assumes I know up front that Kindle  books purchased from Amazon  have drm in. I buy music from Amazon that are drm free. I buy a small Kindle book from Amazon for 2 quid and it has drm. 

NOW I know, after i pay my money for the book.

I buy a book, i buy an app, (unusually for me I steal or rip nothing), yet i can't read it. It doesn't encourage honesty.

By the way my kindle book with drm is .azw, and becomes .mobi after removing the drm with the naughty app.

My Carrier: N/A

Hi,

First of all, I think you've selected the wrong target to channel your frustration.
Currently, Amazon support following formats for its Kindle store: PRC, PDB, MOBI, AZW and TPZ.
Topaz (TPZ) books are always encrypted and BookReader does not support this format.
For all other formats Amazon may or may not apply DRM-based encryption and it is usually driven
by books publisher. I've seen encrypted books from public domain and modern books without any
encryption in the Kindle store.

Unfortunately, Amazon does not want 3rd party developers to integrate with their bookstore natively
and does not provide any upfront information whether book is DRM-ed or not. I've tried to provide
as much information as possible inside the application description, but this is th best I can do
in 4000 characters or less as required by the AppWorld rules. I'm open to any suggestions how I could
make it more clear.

Regards,
Igor
Untangled Development

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Igor you can tell people till you are blue in the face you won't have a happy customer.  Because itlf it doesn't work the way they understand then they will never be happy.   DRM is a fact that unless it is stripped from the book reader reader will not open it.  These same people want a program that will strip the DRM and open tb ebook to read.  ISheep.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
UntangledDev
My Carrier: N/A

True, but it's not necessarily their fault. A lot of people still do not realize that when they buy DRM-protected books then

they don't own the book itself, but only the right to access this book on limited number of devices.

Anyway, I think that this is the wrong place for this discussion.

Regards,
Igor
Untangled Development

aandras wrote:

Igor you can tell people till you are blue in the face you won't have a happy customer.  Because itlf it doesn't work the way they understand then they will never be happy.   DRM is a fact that unless it is stripped from the book reader reader will not open it.  These same people want a program that will strip the DRM and open tb ebook to read.  ISheep.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser

I'm a happy customer of Igor's now i understand the limitations imposed by the big companies.  Ok the app could be called "bookreader for epub and other drm free books"

And if an isheep is someone who wants the Playbook to work as well as an ipad then I plead guilty.