Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
minidvr
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 441322431174

Playbook Browser won't work after software upgrade

Having upgraded to the latest version today, the Browser on my device will not work.

When you click on the browser it opens briefly and closes after about 5 seconds.

This affects other applications that rely on the browser to connect to the internet of their source.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mikejones2509
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

Re: Playbook Browser won't work after software upgrade

[ Edited ]

read my posts... same problem. Browser closes and will not load the page.

Contacted RIM and still working on a fix.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
minidvr

Thanks for your prompt response.  I am able to use the Dolphin Browser so it's not the end of the world, but the Blackberry browser has my favourites etc loaded, so would prefer to use it day to day.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

minidvr wrote:

Thanks for your prompt response.  I am able to use the Dolphin Browser so it's not the end of the world, but the Blackberry browser has my favourites etc loaded, so would prefer to use it day to day.

It sounds like you have corruption as a result of the OS "updating". My reccomendation is drastic and time consuming but it will most likely fix this issue. This process can take upwards of 45 minutes to an hour to do. Do not interupt it. You will need the latest copy of the BlackBerry Desktop software installed on your computer.

You will have to reinstall all paid and sideloaded applications and you will lose all data and media (pictures, files, music, etc) unless you take steps to back them up either through the Desktop software or through Windows Explorer or Mac finder.

Restoring the PB to factory default:

1. Open PB Desktop Manager
2. Connect PB to PC
3. Once connection is established go to "Help" should show no updates
4. Hard restart PB pressing power button and select "restart"
5. Once restart has begun Desktop Manager will display a popup window "option to Update" select update
6. This will take a long time to complete while the original OS is downloaded from RIM server
7. Follow on screen instruction at end

The original factory install will have been restored (all images, videos original games etc) . You need to re-initialize the PB from the start with your BlackBerry ID, just as if you just got it home from your store purchase.

You will then need to reinstall all applications once more.

NOTE: a security wipe does not restore the PB to factory original condition - it simply removes all data and applications on the device.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

Standard fix is backup and reload os via usb and desktop software, (de-brick) but that would probably not restore bookmarks.  

Edit: like what chaosdivine said!

________
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
minidvr

Thanks.

Will git it a go tomorrow when I have got more time.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

One more quick note: Ensure your PlayBooks are fully charged up before you do the nuke and restore.

The process sounds painful, but it's not. Once you have done this once, it won't be scary if you need to do this in future (hopefully you won't have to).

Please use plain text.