Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
benc999
My Device: Playbook

Playbook - Can't even use out of the box

What a shame. I was prepared to look past the barrage of negative press that this device has received as I truly believed its a great bit of hardware and the software issues are being addressed - certainly with the ability to upload some decent, popular apps at least.

I've spent the best part of 6 hours trying to set the thing up... after waiting for the damned thing to charge, I waited for two hours downloading until it borked on me and now cannot reconnect to try again. I've tried the desktop method but the servers seem to fail when trying to connect to download stuff. This, combined with random error codes make this the most frustrating bit of tech I've owned.

I'm not technically green - I know my around gadgets and gizmos (rooting and flashing Android phones etc). 

I really really cannot believe whoever thought this was a good idea. No other piece of kit is designed like this. 

If you're going to place so much emphasis on being forced to download 500mb of updates, ensure your servers are rock solid. 

If this doesn't work tonight when I get home, its going back to the shop tomorrow morning. Which is a shame given its a good bit of kit and there is a wealth of help on the internet. Its just a shame RIM are a bit of a mess.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Playbook - Can't even use out of the box

I would contact support. You have 90 day complimentary support.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrbenz7
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook 64 GB

I went through a similar situation with mine and it is not the BlackBerry servers your having trouble with, it is your connection at home! You need to connect to WIFI once your playbook is charged. Mine to awhile to initially charge and once I got my updates through WIFI I have been up and running wonderfully! This is the best tablet I have ever owned! 

Another thing you need to do to avoid those error messages when downloading applications is to apply for a NEW BlackBerry I'D account because you cannot use the same account as your phone. 

You might need to open a new email address and I would recommend a Hotmail account because these are so easy to.set up. Once you set up your I'D properly then you should be able to upgrade your account and link a credit card if you wish to pay for items you wish to buy on line. 

Do call tech support if you really need them! I contacted a tech support person by the name of Spencer in Costa Rica and I hope you get lucky enough to get a hold of him or someone like him. 

Post back and let us know how your doing! Don't give up. It is a remarkable Tablet and we'll worth it. I think it got a bit of a bad rap because it is catered more toward business users and adults instead of the typical toy or gadget freak! 

Please use plain text.
Visitor
majaaileen
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Hi guys! i need your help... I just purchased yesterday a new playbook and it is very frustrating... cause its OS needs to be updated first before I can use it. I always encounter this errors when trying to update my OS (1) Cannot connect to Server error 3000(was able to fix the error by removing the WPA of our wifi router) (2) -updating starts but freezes after few minutes and asked to restart my PB <<< this error is soooooooo frustrating........

Also tried to update thru DM (learned the trick thru crackberry), but still, OS updating freezes. 

PLEASE, HELP! :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jkimchi
My Device: Playbook 16Gb; Berry BOLD 9780

[ Edited ]

Im having no issues  with using the same bb id account on both my phone and PB. Works seamlessly. 

As for your PB; Id suggest you return it to original site of purchase instead of calling some offshore call centre for service. 

BB incorporated needs some presence at the retail store front to help assist folks face to face and deal with some surprising issues Im reading about on message boards re: issues people are having with their PBs.

For me Ive had no issue next to some **bleep** apps being virtually useless on the PB (evernote?). 

The PB is working admirably for me in both business and personal use. 

The size, for me, is perfect. and i like the fact its not wafer thin (personal preferences).

To go where no berry has gone before....

http://zerogpuddle.blogspot.com/
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrbenz7

I had an older BlackBerry phone. My service will not allow 2 devices on one BlackBerry I'D. Not unusual here in the States with some carriers. I am not familiar with Telus.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
benc999
My Device: Playbook

Alls well that ends well... Indeed posting this now from my PlayBook!

I tried the BBDM solution again and it told me it had failed... By mistake I let the PlayBook reboot and it took me right to the start of the setup and redownloaded the updates wirelessly. After that I've not looked back and have been playing greatly with the PlayBook. For what it is its a stunning piece of kit once you get it started. It does all I want of it and more.

The great price and Android apps swung the deal for me and I'm very glad I got past those teething issues!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrbenz7

Great! I'm glad that worked for you! I think what happens is when the Playbook begins to download it tries tonload ALL the updates at once and it cannot because some of those updates are part of the OS. The one thing you need to make sure of is that you have a strong signal that will download all files uncorrupted. A file missing pieces during download will also cause the errors your were experiencing and I forgot to mention that anyone who is doing this, get close to your wifi router so you get signal strength of 80% or better! 

My updates zipped right in once I went into my bedroom where my router was.

Please use plain text.