Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
pixturesk
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Bell Sympatico

Re: Playbook File Sharing Without Desktop Software for Mac

Thanks jarviser, as far as changing the router settings (Bell 2Wire DSL with 4 port wireless router), I let my ISP tell me how to set it up to their specs, that way it always works. I am not complacent about antivirus threats. At some point someone is going to get us Mac users, I am just protecting myself with Sophos for Mac Free Edition, the best free antivirus software for the Mac, have been using it since it came out, has the top rating on major Mac sites. As far as the "smb: stuff", I haven't got a clue of what you are talking about, too techy for me. The purpose of starting this discussion , at the urging of one of the Rim tech support reps, was to share my alternative way of file sharing between my iMac + Playbook, works great for me. Ken.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

That's great if it works, it's what it's all about.

I move photos by the gigabyte so cloud solutions are slow, and use precious monthly broadband allowance. 

Hey Innovatology, others, just came up with the ultimate solution to this problem without using my ISP small free web space or any Cloud software. I never knew that Mac Tiger Intel comes with its own FTP server as well as the Apache HTTP server. By playing in System Preference/Sharing, I saw there was an "FTP Access" function which gave me an "ftp://x.x.x.x" access to my FTP server. After connecting, I saw all the folders I might want access for transferring files to my Playbook. I put a check mark on FTP Access, Personal File Sharing, Personal Web Sharing (all got started), then I STOPPED my iMac's firewall, "THAT WAS THE KEY!!" Then from my Playbook I enter the "ftp://x.x.x.x", get a window asking for user/pw for my iMac, then connect to my iMac FTP Server, where all the files/folders I might want to transfer are available, even tried transferring a couple of text + music files went great. Also, I had put a sample blog in my iMac Sites folder, which I was able to access from the FTP Server so, in theory, I can run a website or blog from FTP/Sites. So I can now use the web to accomplish this File Sharing/Transfer, to me much safer than WiFi (turn off the FTP Access, Personal File Sharing, Personal Web Sharing + restart the Firewall after the transfer). I won't want to file share or transfer from the Playbook to the Mac, so this solves my problem. Ken.
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

you have a working solution, but you are completely wrong when you believe that "turning firewall off + transfering files through FTP + turning firewall on" is more secure than "keep firewall on and use WiFi".

My advise is to configure the firewall to allow open the FTP ports

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pixturesk

Thanks Xandrex. While I am always learning things, I am not of the computer generation, not much of a techie, so configuring the firewall is something I won't touch, things are working so well on my iMac so, for the occasional file transfer, I'll just continue my way because it works quite simply. I am just happy I am able to have the "file transfer" functionality. Ken.
Please use plain text.