Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Playbook Freezing / Crashing / Glitching

[ Edited ]

Hey all,

I've recently purchased a blackberry playbook with the recent drop in price. I was unfortunately very disappointed where I have spent most of my time getting frustrated and trying to fix it.

When I first got it everything seemed to be working great, until I plugged it into the wall charger. When I did this, the device was on, and it seemed to be charging. After a while, however, when I came back, the device was frozen, and all I could get was a backlit screen. This is when everything went downhill.

After this I've tried everything, restarting, both wipe and reload options (security reset and through blackberry desktop) I've made sure everything is up to date, and one problem just seems to lead to another.

First it would glitch and I'd get white dots followed by a crash, the next time games would cause it to freeze, and currently it will freeze for no reason.

It's really frustrating because while looking at the problems online, my playbook seems to have MOST of them. I don't know if there's a simple fix for this that I'm missing, or what.

I'd like to use the playbook, but I'm unsure if exchanging it for another one would even be worth it at this point with the amount of problems people seem to be experiencing.

EDIT: Just did another reboot while plugged in and the device does some flickering during the initial boot where it shows the colorful dots, and shows a checkerboard-like image, then freezes. Frustrating.

EDIT 2: Well, I did a restart and now it seems to be working. But for how long? How long until I charge it and it freezes again, or I turn it off and it won't turn back on? This seems silly.

EDIT 3: New problem, it now just starts flickering during use and freezes at random intervals.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Playbook Freezing / Crashing / Glitching

Sometimes it takes 8 or 9 resets to get it working right. It is frustrating
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

So what you're saying is if I want to use this on the fly I have to do a hard reset sometimes up to like 10 tries to get it to work?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

NO, when problem arise it should only take a reset, but i lieave mine on standby.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor

Well, the problem keeps happening about every 5-10 minutes or so, so honestly if I can't use the tablet for more than five minutes without it freezing and needing to do a reset, there's a problem. That's more than frustrating.

New Contributor

Either way I'm going to return it to the store and get it exchanged.
Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

That is not right... sounds like you have a faulty unit...take it back and get a new one...If it is anywhere near as bad as you describe it you should have no problems returning it. The feb update should fix most of the issues (browser crash, disapearing icons, etc.)
New Contributor

Yeah I took it back to the store today, had no problems getting an exchange, except they only had the 32GB instead of the 16, but i had no problem paying the difference. This one turns on right away so it's already looking better.

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: playbook

I have a frozen screen but I also cannot turn it off to try and reboot it. Any ideas how to turn off???

Super Contributor
My Device: 32gb playbook
My Carrier: shaw

Hold down the power button for 10 secs