Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
pixturesk
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook Future

Given the rumors about the future of Rim, if I purchase the 16gig Playbook, quite soon, will the unit continue to function normally if Rim ceases to exist in its current form? I have been experimenting with the Playbook in a local Future Shop, superb unit, want to actively use it for the foreseeable future. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook

Re: Playbook Future

No one can tell, currently. 
I know that several people on the Support pages have been thrown off for posting links that revealed what RIM has been suffering.

So, given what was in the Globe & Mail newspaper, and on several other on-line papers, including those in the UK, there was nothing positive whatsoever.

Doubtless, some busy body here will tell me that I'm completely wrong and should be banned!

I have a 64GB, and it's a good machine, but when the company talks of spliting, I really don't know what to do, in the future, and it's creeping closer. 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I doubt RIM will go belly up anytime soon, they have more than just phones and tablets. They own QNX, the RIM NOC that handles data for BlackBerry dataplans, patents on so many things to list here and they even make software for BES, Fusion Desktop manager.

Even if RIM did go away, QNX will not be going anywhere any time soon that the playbook runs.

just take a look at some of their current customers

http://www.qnx.com/company/customer_stories/index.html

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

turdusturdus wrote:

No one can tell, currently. 
I know that several people on the Support pages have been thrown off for posting links that revealed what RIM has been suffering.

many of those were moved to social area as this is a support area for people needing help

some posts might have been removed if there was no value in them support wise or just rants, flaming etc

I come here to assist people and keep my mind fresh. I do defend RIM as the media is so negative.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pixturesk

Thanks guys, knottyrope I completely agree. I want to support a "GREAT" Canadian company which Rim is. I have a feeling they will figure it out. In the meantime why not acquire a Playbook, every bit as competent as the iPad (I am an iMac user) at this great price. The risk is minor, the potential very exciting. My question was very much a "help" question, the basis upon which other help questions are even possible. Thanks again, Ken.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
amdmark
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

It's not looking good.  I would start looking at the Samsung Galaxy.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
turdusturdus
My Device: playbook

Now hear this:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/rim-to-chop-5000-jobs-delays-launch-of-blackberry-10/a...

How can this be? And, don't tell me this is good news. Time I thought of buying something new? How sad is that? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
amdmark
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Oh, someone will come back and say "It's a minor setback, everything is ok"

Ship has sailed

Please use plain text.
Contributor
pixturesk

Interesting opinions but I am not one of the NAYSAYERS. The staggering changes in Rim have been necessary for quite awhile. The new CEO has the correct vision. The company will continue to exist, probably flourish, as a leaner entity with a much clearer focus. I have no hesitation in purchasing a Playbook, am in for the long haul.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
icemanswimmer
My Device: 9700 6.0

Hi,

They PlayBook is still on  RIM's plans, we will have another update and the 4G model will see the light soon too.

Those news were expected, everybody is waiting to get BB10 phones and not buying BB7s, we will see the wave back with BB10 success.

About the PlayBook is still selling, slowly but selling, other brand tablets can't say the same.

I have been working with RIM for several months helping at the forums in spanish and it's remarkable the great job they are still doing and the will to improve the PlayBook, it's awsome! love this guys!

Right now I'm working with them to solve the "won't charge" issue that is afecting many others so soon they will have the fix for that and many other ones.

The only thing I see and feel here is that this company is doing the right thing for a turnaround. 

Regards

Ice

Please use plain text.