Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Re: Playbook Ghost or has a Virus?

Have you ever got support from Microsoft or Apple or Dell or anyone else i that business without a credit card or a prepaid support package? I would wager not.

My Device: Playbook

The answer I got and it's worked so far is to hook it to your computer and use the Blackberry Software to "Repair" the last or 2nd last Software upgrade (they said it was probably corrupt)

So I did this and all is well so far (3 days now) - Ohhh AND I didn't re-download the latest OS Software upgrade once the Tablet reboots (it will tell you there is an update) I didn't do it incase the Bug is still in it

Tim K

Contributor
Tankertk

First I would suggest that you backup your Playbook and then do a repair - as the repair will be "Like New" again (same as formatting it)

Tim K

berfie
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

To Textucker: I was trying to search for my local service centre (without success), and ended up that page which didn't provide me the location but asked for my credit card. Thus my curiousity
Super Contributor
TexTucker

berfie wrote:
To Textucker: I was trying to search for my local service centre (without success), and ended up that page which didn't provide me the location but asked for my credit card. Thus my curiousity

That's because after 90 days either you pay for advice from BB or you come here for free advice from volunteers.

At least BB give you 90 days. 

Use google find  a local repair shop, not BB site.  Good luck. In UK we have some BB repair shops but no Playbook repair facilities. Why should they tool up? Hardly anyone has one and it's almost as cheap to buy new as to repair. 

Tankertk wrote:

The answer I got and it's worked so far is to hook it to your computer and use the Blackberry Software to "Repair" the last or 2nd last Software upgrade (they said it was probably corrupt)

So I did this and all is well so far (3 days now) - Ohhh AND I didn't re-download the latest OS Software upgrade once the Tablet reboots (it will tell you there is an update) I didn't do it incase the Bug is still in it

Tim K

So what version do you have running?

Sorry, I don't have my Playbook with me today (i'm at work) I did the update when it was hooked to my computer after the re-install, BUT I didn't do the update on the Playbook when it booted up (actual Playbook and not when hooked to computer via the data cord) . When I get home later tonight (after 9pm) I will boot it up and post it here which version I am running

New Contributor
cchampeau1
My Device: blackberry playbook 2.0

OK....so I need to make repairs.

After I have plugged into computer where do I go.

Break it down, step by step to make the repair so my blackberry

doesn't go on it's own.

I also have ruled out the faulity ground wire as it also acts this way at 2 different

hotels, my work, and a friends house. Diffintely probably due to the last upgrade.

I would like to remove it.

I will wait until you are done work.

TGIF-have a good one.

Carrie

Contributor
Tankertk

I am soo sorry Carrie, I went home from work yesterday early sick as a dog.... I went to bed and totally forgot about all of this.  I installed the Desktop software from Blackberry.com (and not the playbook software) this one.. http://ca.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html?LID=ca:bb:software:desktopsoftware:mac&LPOS=ca:bb:sof... and then I plugged in my playbook and did a repair... the people at Blackberry helped me step by step, I can't remember every step or even how it got started, I am sorry.  Maybe if you youtube.com it, someone on there may show you exactly how to format or repair your playbook.  I wish I could be more help ....  Tim K

Super Contributor
TexTucker

[ Edited ]

You can repair software by the debrick method just mentioned. You cannot remove the latest update. Everything open for you from now on will only reinstall the latest. There is no downgrade path.

if you still have your ghost, it's hardware and a trip to the repair shop or RMA from blackberry

Debrick:

Backup your data the best way you know how.

Make sure you know your Blackberry ID and password

Turn Playbook right off (i.e. Shut Down til black)

Download latest Blackberry Desktop Software to your PC or Mac and start it up

The next bit happens very quickly.

Connect the Playbook by USB cable. If the red light starts to glow or playbook starts up, press the Off button til it goes off.

Because Playbook is off you will get an error message basically saying Retry or Update  (on Mac it may say Repair rather than Update)

Quickly select the Update (or Repair) option

The Playbook will start to get a new OS that will take al least an hour to download via the PC

Follow the registration process using your current Blackberry ID

Add back your email accounts etc.

Reinstall your apps from App World, My World