If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
PeterCKB
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: T Mobile

Playbook Magellan Compass - how to solve GPS not connecting to app

[ Edited ]

Hi

I had problems with Magellan Compass after not using it for a long time (it worked great when i first got my Playbook)  and this is the advice I received from O2 Interactive (the developers) 

"The GPS Sensor on the PlayBook will lose its association with the nearby satellites from inactive use. Restart the device outside, under a clear sky and wait about 5-10 minutes."

I tried this and it works a treat.    By the way I did a full restart ie close down first just to be sure

So one of my favourite apps is now up and running again... I am very pleased !

Thanks O2 !

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
saugen48
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: none at present

Re: Playbook Magellan Compass - how to solve GPS not connecting to app

Thanks for coming back with that..I am sure it will help others who may have this problem

Gene
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

[ Edited ]

I have never been able to get Magellan to run whilst travelling. I start and then lose map location.

What level do you need to have for a map to work? Do I need to go to 'Corner'? My problem is that I wish to travel 6 months travelling Europe and and may well be going to 14 countries. I like the size of the Playbook. Using wifi out of my origianl country is inordfiantley expensive, So I would like to get it set before I go. UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Luxemburg, Spain, Portugal, Austria and Italy. 'Corner' for all?

The user manual is particularly poor.

Help and information please.

Regards

Ross 

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
godot2011
My Device: PlayBook 32GB and PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: DCI Telecom

[ Edited ]

rossjackson01 wrote:

I have never been able to get Magellan to run whilst travelling. I start and then lose map location.

What level do you need to have for a map to work? Do I need to go to 'Corner'? My problem is that I wish to travel 6 months travelling Europe and and may well be going to 14 countries. I like the size of the Playbook. Using wifi out of my origianl country is inordfiantley expensive, So I would like to get it set before I go. UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Lichenstein, Luxemburg, Spain, Portugal, Austria and Italy. 'Corner' for all?

The user manual is particularly poor.

Help and information please.

Regards

Ross 

Try OSMAND. It is free! The user interface is quite easy to get used to. Few words of caution;

- It is not as detailed as some other map apps, but it works. I use it in Canada; US. Used it successfully in Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. 

- The algorithms used to calculate the routes couid use some refining. It is a bit slow to realize that you want to deviate 'from the plan' and lazy to recalculate.

The program will get you there but not always the way you think is best.  As usual, it is always handy to keep a good map around.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeterCKB

Hi Ross

I am not a techie expert in these matters but Compass needs Internet to deliver the maps and I found that using my phone as a Wifi hotspot worked ok with Compass in the car. However I am told that maps use a lot of data and so you may well be right that this method could be expensive when away from your home country.

Map Droyd could be a cheap (free) alternative as it does.not need internet and you can save the maps on your tablet..  You can track your position but it doesn't compute directions and it worked ok for me subject to this limitation.  There is also the other irritation on it with the screen timeout (see my other posting on the forum)

Hope that helps.

Peter

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Thank you godot2011 and PeterCKB for your replies.

Osmand is indeed excellent, but does not stay visual for more than 5 minutes. Having the screen switch off at a critical moment, a screen swipe needed to re-activate is not safe when driving. Using roaming abroad is very expensive. Map Droyd is not native to Playbook.

The reply I need from someone is:- what level do I need to load the maps to allow a journey?

Hope someone can help.

Update.

I have tried to download the level of map and am at 'block'. The time set for download for an area surrounding Ayrshire, which for 50 mile x 50 mile is 96 hours. To cover Europe is at least 100 maps of that size.  Imagine what the time and dowload for 'streets' would be? I am therefore deleting Magellan. I do have all of Europe installed for Osmand.  I will wait for BB10 and hope they have the screen time-out adjusted to meet the demands of a satnav programme.

Thank you all for your help and advice to date.

Ross

Please use plain text.
Contributor
PeterCKB

Hi

I've tried Osmand which installed ok but when I launched it..... It needed the Honeycomb Launcher..... But I then couldn't find it on the launcher screen....?!

Any ideas...???

Thanks

Peter

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01

[ Edited ]

Hi peter

I installed from Blackberry world.

Have sent you a PM with my details if you want to video chat. Can talk you through.

Regards

Ross

Please use plain text.