Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tp3xr40a
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

Playbook Magnetometer issue

My magnetometer when calibrated, points to the south. How do I make it reverse to point north?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb
My Carrier: none

Re: Playbook Magnetometer issue

What app are you using?

What hemisphere do you live in?

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

I'm in New York State. I have Osmand, and several free compass apps. Only one of the compass apps offers the calibration feature. Shouldn't the Playbook itself be capable of basic magnetometer setup and calibration? Is there a factory program that adjusts it via USB connection from a PC? I saw a video on Crackberry showing how to do this on a Blackberry Bold. That's what the Playbook should have, I would say. Before calibrating, the compass pointed east. After several failed attempts, it locked in on North, but the tail of the compass app pointer was pointing north. I doublechecked with Osmand, and with the top set to show north, it pointed to the bottom of the screen. The map was upside down.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Osman uses GPS as do most of the "compass" apps.  In which case are you outdoors? They will not pick up any GPS indoors, not a hope.

And for the Compass Pro type apps do you invert the Playbook and back again?

I have in the past opened my Compass Pro and waved a very strong magnet near Playbook - nothing, not a glimmer of movement. 

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer on magnetometer apps.