Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
buzzt
My Carrier: Bell

Playbook Paperweight: What now?

Can you explain to me why a known issue with Playbooks has never been resolved? My battery recently got run down by the kids. Now, I can't charge it or power it up. My understanding, is that in order for it to charge, there must be sufficient power to to allow the playbook to initiate the charging (which I find really silly). So, in short, if your playbook battery gets run down to 0%, you now have a paperweight.

And before you suggest it, I have tried all the different button combinations as well as stack charging in various intervals as well as testing my charger with my OTHER playbook and my other charger on this one, and also trying to get the desktop software to detect it (which is impossible since this thing is dead). I have done everything short of opening it up to disconnect the battery (which I just don't think I should have to do).

"Support" tells me I will have to send it in and may have to pay for repair (since it's no longer under warranty, I will have to). Given the cost of these things, I would be better buying a new one OR, switching all 3 of my blackberry products for another company's more reliable products.

Again, seeing as this is VERY common, why hasn't more been done? I love my BB products, but this has pushed me too far.

What do I do now? Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook Paperweight: What now?

It will recharge and reboot. I've seen too many of these "paperweights' working again.

Don't give up,.. LEAVE it connected to the wall outlet charger (not the USB > PC charger).
Leave it connected for 24 hours... every 3-5 hours, press and hold the power button only for about 20 seconds. Eventually it will boot on up, but first must reach a certain charge level.
You will see the blinking red and perhaps yellowish LED light, and perhaps a symbol on screen of "no battery". That means the battery is drained, but it must reach a certain charge before powering on.

Another great investment for $20 is a the Playbook magnetic rapid charger. I've bought one for each of my Playbooks. You should too. Charge with the rapid charger and you'll likely revive it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
buzzt

Thanks for the suggestion. Been charging for 24 hours now, and I have been doing just that. Previously, I had a red light come on for 4 seconds followed by 5 amber blinks (meaning the battery is dead). Now, not even that. Seems worse now. And again, I know the charger is fine (works on my other playbook).

The magnetic charger at Best Buy is $70, which I don't intend to buy if I'm just gonna give up on htese things.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

hey can you call the support number?  here is the info:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/tablets/playbook/contact-support.html

I did. Looks like I would have to pay for a repair. It's not broken or damaged; this is a known defect. VERY frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

how odd.  Why do you have to pay for a known defect?

Beacuase they don't consider it as such. HOWEVER, given how common this occurance is, and the fact that it occurs because of the way the power management is set up, shouldn't it be?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359

I found this article.  Maybe it will help:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/playbook-wont-turn-no-lights-all-nothing-75094...

its similar to jsanders suggestion, but you're doing it more often...stack charging.

Saw and did this; no luck.  Thanks though. I still think RIM has to take some responsibility here, regardless of warranty period.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,748
My Carrier: Verizon

buzzi, I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of users I've helped with this same issue, and there are literally hundreds others in forum others have helped. You can give up if you want... your choice.

RIM has taken responsibility and I've seen (again) countless examples of users out of warranty who they've allowed to RMA the device. Instead, you said it "seems", which pretty much means you haven't called, won't call or don't care.

If you just want to complain, fine. You've gotten that off your chest. Done and done. If you really want it fixed, Wolf and I have given you working suggestions.

And the rapid charger (last week) was $18.95USD on Amazon. I bought three, one for me, and two for a friend over pond (even with $18USD shipping, he's paying cheaper than the $60USD per piece price in his country.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.