Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Playbook Screen Brightness Issue

I had this issue under the previous OS. At that time I lowered the screen brightness in Kobo books and the problem seemed to go away. After the upgrade to OS2, it has not occurred to me. For the last two days, I set the screen brightness for Koho Books to maximum but it causes no problem to the PB at all. I can adjust the screen brightness of the PB to any setting I want. Clear as mud!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ma3rie
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

I can find no way to consistently cause the problem and since it happens on two units I do feel it is a bug.  I just hope they find away to fix it, but the several times I called the tech help they didn't seem to feel it was a common problem, so until they realize it is a bug they won't fix it.  Arghh!!

Thanks for the help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Glaedr
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

I don't have a Playbook yet, but I do have a Bold and I have the same issue on that. It's now nearly two years old, and has updated various things in that time. There are tinted screen protectors but they don't seem to make much difference, and I really don't think we should all have to buy something else, however cheap it is, to avoid eye strain when we've all already paid so much for the devices themselves.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
spang
My Device: playbook 64 wi-fi
My Carrier: 02

i had the same problem at work today. i usually keep my brightness at the lowest setting. All of a sudden the screen went very bright and when i tried to adjust it the brightness slider was pale and would not respond to my finger stroke. i cleared the cache and tried again. it did not correct itself straight away only after i had put it on standby and awoke it again. I've had the device for 3 weeks and not had the problem untill now although i had read about the problem  while researching the product before i bought it.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Did you by any chance happen to move into a very bright area at the time?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
spang
My Device: playbook 64 wi-fi
My Carrier: 02

i was in a lit room at the time. it could have been the automatic dimming feature. it just had never happened before and i would have thought that the dimming/brightness slider would work when you touch it and overide the automatic dimming feature. if that was actually the case.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
sebastos
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

All these free games come from the led sensor and yes the slider is disabled when there is full backlighting. Personaly, I think this is a software issue, the algorithm could be improved, should be improved. Or may be another solution could be a shortcut to enaling/disabling auto dim which is,to me, not functionning at all.
A quick workaround for this is to put a little tape over sensor, you loose the autodim but you recover your zen attitude :Rolleyes:
I also notice that cleaning the finger's grease over sensor help a little. May be trying some partial covering of the sensor would reach an almost perfect response curve :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.