Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16G
My Carrier: N/A

Playbook Screen split brightness

I bought my Playbook Thursday the 5th.  During some troubleshooting for another issue Thursday and Friday, at some point the playbook screen split down the center and the left side is brighter than the right (when the bb is oriented with the power and volume buttons at the top).  Adjusting the brightness in the Screen settings causes both sides to dim and brighten, with the left side always being brighter.  If I take a screenshot, the image created does not have the split.

Does this sound more like a hardware issue and its likely the device needs to be replaced?  Is it possible that it's a software issue that could be resolved?

Solutions: 6,170
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook Screen split brightness

First, please do a restart on the Playbook.

Press and hold the power button a couple secdonds while pressing the Volume Up key and you will see an onscreen message to turn off or restart. Touch the Restart.

After reboot, does the screen remain split in brightness?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

The brightness split remains after a reset such as you described (out of curiosity, what does holding the volume up key do that just holding down the power button doesn't?), and after a reset of just holding down the power button until the device shuts down completely.

The earliest I can verify the split appears is when the colored light backbround show sup on the booting splashcreen.  Before that the screen is entirely black and the line is just between the e and r in berry.

New Contributor

I contacted the Playbook support number.  They stated it was a hardware issue and the device should be replaced.