Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
Quila467
My Device: Bold 9700 and Playbook 64 Gb

Re: Playbook Support from Blackberry (RIM) poor

I used to have encryption enabled, but I disabled it because the Playbook doesn't work well with the Blackberry when encryption is enabled.  Most of the files still have the .rem extension though.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Quila467 wrote:

I used to have encryption enabled, but I disabled it because the Playbook doesn't work well with the Blackberry when encryption is enabled.  Most of the files still have the .rem extension though.

This should help

Encrypted files stored on the microSD media card appear as .rem files

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Trusted Contributor
Quila467

I can understand a PC not being able to open the .rem files, but you'd think the Playbook would know how to handle them.  The Playbook is accessing the files through the Blackberry that encrypted them in the first place.

When encryption is enabled and the Blackberry is password protected, you need to keep entering the password on the Blackberry before you can access anything (email, contacts, calendar, etc) with the Playbook.  I ended up disabling encryption.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you have to un encrypt those files with desktop manager to be able to access them

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

EVW wrote:

Off course I have it installed .

See, I don't know that, you didn't say, and the first rule of helping someone is to ask the right questions, if they have not already stated the obvious. Detailed questions are helpful.

EVW wrote:

May be you can also help with printing to my wifi printer directly as the Ipad 2 can do.

Thanks

Do you have any WiFi printing software apps installed?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
Quila467

JSanders wrote:

Do you have any WiFi printing software apps installed?

This is about poor support from RIM.  Why are you asking about Wifi printing?  Double standards?

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

You really need to follow the thread from the first post post down. It will all make sense then.

See my quote of eww, who asked about WiFi printing, who happens also to be the one who started this thread, who came here to complain about his Playbook and consequently asked a follow up question about how to print from his Playbook?

It's all good, Quila, I am NOT intending to offend you, just to bring to your attention how quickly this thread got off topic to your issue and away from helping the original poster.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
Quila467

Apologies to everyone reading this thread.  I tried to deal with this privately with JSanders, but he insists that my answer was offtopic.  I don't think that it is and I don't think that I'm trying to steer this thread towards "my" problem.  I'm only trying to help another Playbook user because I know the chance of getting any help from RIM is pretty slim.

EVW said his biggest problem was that Bridge was not showing the files on his Blackberry.  This happened to me as well because I had encryption enabled and when encryption is enabled, a .rem extension is added to the files on the Blackberry.  Bridge does not display files with the .rem extension.  If you want to see files on your Blackberry using Bridge, you cannot have encryption enabled on your Blackberry or on the SD Card.

Contributor
DarrenKH
My Device: Bold 9700/ Playbook 32

Sounds like you have some specific issues with the bridge, and many people have provided good feedback. Definitely there are a few gaps and issues that are still being worked out. Just wanted to say though that my experience with RIM support has been very satisfying. Took me several hours on the phone once to sort out a backing up issue, but they really tried hard and followed up to make sure it was resolved. The first person you talk to may not know everything but they pass you on to someone else when needed. Maybe the experience varies among the people you talk to. A few days ago I called there because of problems with the bridge being inconsistent, and they quickly helped me sort it out. It turned out that there were some issues that arose when I installed the new OS, and I needed to create a new bridge.
Contributor
AlanM
My Device: 9630/9650

More info on the encrypted files issue with Bridge Apps:

Once Content Protection has been enabled on your blackberry/SDcard, it's on for those files currently on there even if you turn it off.  If content protection is turned off then new files will get saved unencrypted and with the correct extensions.  There are a couple work arounds that can be done now with Bridge Email App.  If you have Content Protection enabled on your device and you receive an email with an attachment, then open the attachment first on your Playbook and it will open fine (it will still open if you later open it on your blackberry) (the file is stored in an encrypted cache on the blackberry).  If the attachment (or file) is on your blackberry encrypted, then email the file to yourself and open it on the Playbook first. 

I realize these are the best options for a pure connection to the encrypted files via the bridge app, but at least you can function.  I suspect the problem lies in how the key is created on the blackberry for encryption, I'm sure that key is not shared with the Bridge app.