Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
FrustratedBBPBUser
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: N/a

Playbook WIFI connected but not able to access network

Hi,

Have a 32GB Playbook and from new has had wifi issues. Running 2.1.0.1314.

Symptoms are that works fine on a variety of open and secure networks until a point where wifi is showing as connected, it tells me I have an internet connection but no apps or browsers able to access the internet, just unable to resolve host name.

Having trawled the internet I have tried the following fixes -

All methods of rebooting and changing date/time etc.

Deleting the saved network - in fact all networks

Changing various settings etc.

The only fix that works is a complete security wipe at which point it works again until the next time, which has now occurred 5 times.

The onset of each episode of being frozen off of networks seems to be login on open connections. I have it set to ask for connection to a saved network and when accepted the login page opens. However on occasion the login "handshake" seems to get confused and I am left with the device supposedly loggedin but no network access.

No matter what I then do the same issue exists on all networks I try until I do a full wipe.

All settings are standard, websites allowed to access location etc.

Can't register the device for support, get the message that support not available.

Any help appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FrustratedBBPBUser

Re: Playbook WIFI connected but not able to access network

Just also tried on a WPA2 network. Same symptoms, connected but no internet access.

IP Address 192.168.1.113

Gateway 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS 192.168.1.1

Having searched a load of further forums seems this is a pretty common issue and one that has no definitive fix.

Considering this is a well known issue that has been around for a couple of years and RIM have failed to address then pretty poor show. I will try and call BB Support and report back. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
qqqqqqqqqq
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Same problem for me
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
qqqqqqqqqq
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I use a wpa2 network too and am constantly frustrated by this. More time being unable to access the net than time on it. Can't resolve host name, etc.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FrustratedBBPBUser

qqqqqqq

Me, you and a few hundred others at least judging by the number of similar issues reported in forums !

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

I would think the problems you are all having is router related. Try doing a router reset by unplugging for a minute or so and reconnect.
Try changing the router channel from its default, usually channel 11. It may be overloaded. Make sure you are using mode 802.11g. Use WPA or WPA2 with AES/PSK encryption. Set the PlayBook setting the same but set it up manually. Put a check mark in Automatically Obtain IP Address and also Allow Inter-Access Point Handover.
If you have a dual band router, use 802.11n only and 5.0 Ghz band. All other computer hardware uses the 2.5 Ghz band.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

One other thing I forgot. If you change your router settings, do a reboot on your computer. If you have to change the PlayBook settings, delete the existing saved networks, reboot the PlayBook and then re-enter the new network settings. If you skip the reboot, your old setting will still be present.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FrustratedBBPBUser

Hi and thanks for replying but as you will see from my posts the issue is on open networks - to be more specific public wifi hotspots.

Therefore I have no access to router settings.

Where I do have access to the router the PB will reconnect after a wipe with no changes to settings. 

The problem is with the PB where the wifi is connected but for whatever reason it is not possible to connect to the network. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
FrustratedBBPBUser

UPDATE

After deleting all saved networks and rebooting the PB it failed to connect again to the secure network I had last tried.

However, it did connect to an open wifi hotspot. I am wondering whether I need to ensure that the next network I try after experiencing the issue and doing the above is different to the one I was trying to connect to last.

Is there some kind of residual network memory hang up !

Will update again next time it occurs, which historically has been every 2 - 7 days.

Please use plain text.