If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

carrie_louise123
My Device: blackberry bold 9790
My Carrier: vodafone

Playbook and BBM

Hi Guys and Girls.... I am looking at buying a playbook for someone living abroad so we can stay in contact via BBM. He doesnt however have a blackberry as his current phone. I see from the other posts that you need to 'bridge' a phone and a playbook, but can i use my old handset? the one i am no longer using? or will just having a pin for it not work?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jamead1981
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: EE (Orange)

Re: Playbook and BBM

That's a very expensive gift so you can BBM someone?? Currently BBM is only available on the playbook when you bridge it to a blackberry and then it becomes a big screen and keyboard for the blackberry. 

The phone will need an active blackberry data plan attached to the sim card in the phone. You can also use the video chat apply direct on the playbook to talk to them on their playbook. 

Without wanting to diminish how great the playbook and blackberry handsets are, if he already has a smartphone have you looked at cross platform messaging services such as WhatsApp? 

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

Re: Playbook and BBM

[ Edited ]

Hello carrie_louise123

I do not have Blackberry phone but I do have a Playbook. It's brilliant. My brother is the same. We use video chat all the time through our wifi and internet connection. When out and about I tether my phone and use the playbook for video chat. My phone does not have a front facing camera.

If no Blackberry or playbook then use www.faceflow.com. Video chat via internet, and it has conference. Added bonus it is Free.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Please use plain text.