Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Playbook and HipStreet Bluetooth keyboard

Hi,

I have purchased the HipStreet Venture Leather case w/ Bluetooth keyboard.  I am typing on it now paired with my laptop, and it seems to be working fine.  However, when it is paired with my playbook (32GB OS1.0.7.2670) it only seems to work sporadically.  I was taking notes with it yesterday morning and it seems to have stopped sending characters mid sentence, I did not pause so I doubt the keyboard went to sleep or anything like that.  I touched the screen in a typing area and the on-screen keyboard came up, I put that away and after that sometimes the Bluetooth keyboard works again.

My feeling is that since it is working perfectly on my laptop, that the problem is with the connection to my playbook.  Any thoughts?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

Re: Playbook and HipStreet Bluetooth keyboard

I don't have that keyboard, but my bt keyboard does that when my phone has an active connection my BB.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor

Do you mean when your playbook is bridged to your blackberry, or are you using the keyboard paired with your blackberry?

My playbook was bridged with my blackberry.  I will try it with the bridge disconnected, but that does remove some functionality.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

when bb phone is bridged. one i turn off thebb phone bt connection the keyboard works without fail.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Contributor

I am sitting in my office where I have 2 Bluetooth enabled blackberries, and a laptop.  The keyboard worked fine with Bluetooth enabled on everything, including the Playbook.

I have re-paired the keyboard to the playbook, with bridge disabled and it is still cutting out.  The characters stop getting transmitted, and a few seconds later the playbook's top left corner glows red with an information alert saying the playbook is connected to the keyboard and then characters work again.  I have now shut off the Bluetooth on both blackberries, but the keyboard/playbook are still misbehaving.  I can try to turn off Bluetooth on my laptop next, but in reality none of this makes practical sense, since I can't ask everyone in every meeting where I want to use the keyboard to please turn off all Bluetooth devices.

I spoke to the manufacturer, and he agrees that if it is working fine with the laptop, then it is most likely an issue with the Playbook.  Now that I think about it, I do seem to experiences pauses when reading email on the Playbook from the blackberry, via the bridge.  Could there be something wrong with the Bluetooth on my playbook, and how can I test that?

Barry

New Contributor
My Device: Torch, RCY71UW

I have experienced the same problem with the Hip Street keyboard and Playbook. The keyboard cuts out mid-sentence and the Playbook keyboard pops-up on screen. Reconnecting the keyboard doesn't resolve the problem.

I am not using the Playbook in conjunction with a phone.

Is this an issue with Playbook's Bluetooth functionality? Is there a patch available?

Thanks,

Cindy

My Device: Playbook

I have been having the same problems with the HipStreet keyboard.  I do not have another device paired with the playbook and nothing is bridged or tethered.  Connectivity kicks in and out.  Response for keys actually "talking" with the device is very slow.  I think its just the keyboard and has nothing to do with the playbook.  If you read around on the net, a lot of other people are having the same complications.  I am going to return my keyboard.  I was hoping to use the Playbook/keyboard combo during long lectures (my laptop battery does not last through a 3 hour lecture), and it defeats the purpose when it kicks in and out of connectivity, preventing me from actually typing notes.  Even more disappointed because it is so expensive! I happened to buy it on sale but still feel ripped off.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch, RCY71UW

I was able to get the keyboard to work by forcing an upgrade of the operating system to 2.0. Just make sure you backup your playbook before you upgrade.

HBM
My Device: Blackberry 9700

I have the exact same problem with the Hipstreet bluetooth keyboard for Blackberry Playbook - it is exactly as you describe. I have repaired several times. I also bought a different bluetooth keyboard - it's a Motorola branded keyboard and it does the EXACT same thing. It also has the same symptoms AFTER the 2.0 OS upgrade that RIM released for the Playbook.

Frankly, I think it's a Playbook issue, and I have been complaining about it for months. The only thing I haven't done is complain to RIM support. I saw they were coming out with their own keyboard and I figure they will have to fix it for that product release to work, so I have been patiently waiting for it to resolve itself.

But you're right, the keyboard is useless with this bug.

Contributor

I have been in touch with RIM several times, but because it is not their product they are not much help. I will probably buy (or try, if I can) to see if it has the same issue, so maybe they will help if it is still an issue.