Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Playbook and Windows XP : Media Options are not available

Hi, hoping someone can help me as two lengthy calls to RIM have yielded no results.

I am running Windows XP SP3 with spec well above the min requirements for Blackberry desktop software, of which I downloaded the latest version from RIM's site today.

Software recognises the PB and connects fine (displays PIN etc) yet I get two different errors:

1) Device Options > Media

"Media options are not available". A problem occured while attempting to connect to your Blackberry device

2) File > Get Started (dragging and dropping files)

"Media services are not available". A problem occured while attempting to connect to your Blackberry device

I've redownloaded the BDM software twice (both options for PC > and Sync >) with no result. I've tried different USB ports (same wire) and the same problem.

I notice when right clicking on the Device Manager > Properties that I see under Volumes "Internal Storage Not Mounted" which I doubt is helping.

Playbook Storage and Sharing Options have fiel sharing turned on, and UBS connections = Auto Detect (tried "Connect to Windows") and no result.

Any ideas?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Playbook and Windows XP : Media Options are not available

In the tray by the clock there is a bb computer. Double Click you will see the volume (z) drive possibly. select right click and mount volume. you can now drag and drop to the PB.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook and Bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

thanks for the suggestion -  I will try it tonight but do not think it will work.

1 - In disk management (under My Computer > Storage) the PB is not being assigned a drive letter or visible, the only time I ever see it is when I wiped the PB to factory settings, prior to the BDM software install it was down as a drive, post the setup process it does not get recognised.

2 - In BDM toolbar icon, if I right-click and view the Volume it shows as unmounted - right-clicking and selecting "mount volume" does not mount it.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10 & Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

do you have a password on your playbook. If so connect thru the DM software enter your password an you should be able to mount the volume.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860 & playbook
My Carrier: mobistar

Same problem here. Pretty useless if you cant sync your media. 

My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: 9560295336

even i have the same problem.
I tried everything written above, nothing is working...
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook V2
My Carrier: none

I may have a workaround for all you fellow sufferers.

In your playbook tap the information icon (uppermost right corner).  Tap about and where it says view information about your tablet tap the down arrow and select network.  There you will find one or two IPV4 addresses one for usb the other for wifi. 

In Windows (7 don't know about XP or Vista click on start and in the search bar type the following

run \\either IPV4 address.

With any luck, Windows explorer will  pop up giving you access to your playbook for file transfers.

Once you have done that, and if you prefer a two panel file manager as I do for file transfers, download and install a program called FreeCommander.  This program will allow you to access a network drive from somewhere in its top menu (can't recall where at the moment and I'm not in Windows).  Up will pop a screen asking you for a drive letter to be assigned (take your pick) and a location.  In this area type \\either IPV4 url\media.  You should now be able to access this drive from FreeCommander and easily transfer files to and from your playbook and computer.

Don't guarantee that this will work for you but it has for me.

Allan

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook V2
My Carrier: none

Oops.  I was working from memory, not a good idea at my age.  The first instruction is wrong, do not use run \\IPV4url but simply enter \\ipv4url into the search bar.

Allan

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

hey. i've been following a lot of thre4ads regarding this mounting problem, and still can not sort it out. anyway, when i try your solution and i type the ipv4 into the search directory, nothing shows up! i am using windows 7.

My Device: Playbook wifi 16gb
My Carrier: notapplicable

I ran Registry Mechanic (trial version) and ran 'optimize', chose the Raw Services selection and let it run. This changed 8 distinct services. Suddenly my XP SP3 decided it could in fact map the drive. All seems to function. I believe it had something to do with the tc/ip service, which was regulated by a power saving profile not easily changed.