Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Play book

Playbook and internet dongle connectivity

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect an internet dongle to the Blackberry playbook via the micro usb connection?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

:Yes:

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z10

Re: Playbook and internet dongle connectivity

No it's not currently. 

Forums Advisor I
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314), Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746), Z10 (OS 10.3.1.1581)

[ Edited ]

You will need a router of some kind to share a USB cellular Internet dongle to create a hotspot. There are small ones available if you're a traveller: http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/mobileaccessories/tp/Top-7-Travel-Wireless-Routers.htm

If you're trying to share a standard USB Wi-Fi dongle via MicroUSB (which doesn't make sense because the PlayBook has a Wi-Fi radio built in) then it can not be done currently because it lacks USB OTG (USB On the Go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go ) capability at this time. The driver is there apparently embedded within the OS but it does not work. No word on if ever it will gain this capability.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Play book

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Im in a bit of a quandry, the price right now is really good for a playbook and If I can see hotspots it shouldnt be a problem using the wify option, however I spend a ot of time in the Lake District UK and hot spots can be a problem to find but I can still got phone signals. One option could be tether the playbook with  a smartphone as Im thinking of getting my son one.