Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
debcap
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook and movies

Can I download movies onto the playbook?  If so, how and where?  Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
mleckman
My Device: curve

Re: Playbook and movies

i had this very same question today so i did some research. as of now there is no movie service for playbook BUT YouTube Movies is available (only some movies are available in canada though). also, i found a reference in this forum to a m4v to mp4 converter which will take your Itunes movies and convert them to playbook format. here is a link to the software
http://www.mediaconverter.biz/m4v-to-mp4-converter.html
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jgoldman
My Device: Torch and Playbook

right now i have three main sources for watching movies on PB. HBOgo has pretty decent streaming quality but you have to be an HBO subscriber. Amazon has some pretty good quality watch instantly movies for rent or purchase that can be streamed. you can also download movies in native mp4 format from imovielounge.com but they come in an exe installer format which extracts the file so you need to download it to your laptop or pc, extract it and then copy your movie to the PB.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
debcap
My Device: Playbook

Thanks very much. purchased the playbook because of word/excel functions but since I travel alot, this would be a nice feature
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cake1030
My Device: Torch 9800

This helps a lot!  Thank YOU... i had the same question :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
inlondon
My Device: Playbook 64G

mleckman wrote:
i had this very same question today so i did some research. as of now there is no movie service for playbook BUT YouTube Movies is available (only some movies are available in canada though). also, i found a reference in this forum to a m4v to mp4 converter which will take your Itunes movies and convert them to playbook format. here is a link to the software
http://www.mediaconverter.biz/m4v-to-mp4-converter.html

Hi mleckman,

I tried a trial versionof the Aimersoft conversion software and didn't get much success.  I'm also having trouble transfering private videos to my (new) Playbook

What file types is it expecting?  I have very little experience with this type of thing and have always just taken the 'easy' way out with iTunes

When I tried to select a 'Video Files To', it only gave me a list of Blackberry smartphones

I need a cheap and easy way to download movies and TV shows to my Playbook...help!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have used handbrake to convert to MP4 format. MP4 is the best format for playbook.

I run Blue Ray quality compressed vids and they play very well.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
chipstr1
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I used a DVD ripper program from SOTHINKMEDIA.  It installed easily and was user intuitive for a neophyte like me.  It takes about 3 hours to copy a DVD onto your PC.  From there you can load it onto your PB.  That only take a few minutes.  This prgram cost me about $30.  There are free versions out there, but I wasn't sure of their quality, etc.  Be mindful that loading a movie onto your PB take up a lot of memeory.  I have the PB 16gb and after loading one movie, I only had about 4 gigs left.  (I do have a few pics etc. on my PB as well.  I found that the better way to see movies is by streaming.  There are plenty of ways to get those movies (Amazon, HBO2GO, various networks let you stream TV shows and movies for free).  Hope this helps.  Here's the link for the DVD software: http://www.sothinkmedia.com

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
inlondon
My Device: Playbook 64G

thanks for the responses!  Very helpful

I downloaded handbrake in the end and it works perfectly for my home vids, but it won't let me convert an .M4v file which I downloaded from iTunes.

The error says "No Title(s) Found

Your Source may be copy protected, badly mastered, or in a format which Handbrake does not support"

Does that sound right?  I can't find anythng in their help files

thanks!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

itunes has to have DRM removed first before converting

there are apps that can do it on the web.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.