Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
chris_t
My Device: Playbook + Curve 8520

Playbook apps - can't "see" them

Hi everybody,

Proud user of Playbook for 3 hours now, so don't laugh if this is a noob question :smileywink:

-downloaded a few apps from the appworld, i have access to Asphalt HD and the other free game (some Combat or something), but I can't find the other apps downloaded (Tablet TV Free and Top Gear News). Where I am supposed to look for them? They appear as "installed" in MyWorld, but I can't seem to find them anywhere on my PB.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Playbook apps - can't "see" them

The PlayBook has three screens. At the home screen, swipe from top to bottom as well as from right to left. They are likely on the other screens. If you find them, you can put them all in a games folder. Hold your finger on a game icon until it begins to pulse. Drag the icon on top of another game. You will be asked for a folder name. Now do the same with all other games, drag them into the games folder. If this works let us know.
New Contributor
chris_t
My Device: Playbook + Curve 8520

Manage to "find" the apps :smileywink:

I was doing the whole swiping thing in the first place, but it didn;t worked. With a little help I found out that some apps are "invisible" in landscape, and you can see them if you hold the PB in portrait mode. I guess the landscape orientation doesn't cover the whole screen.

Moved them to other screen and now everything is ok even in landscape.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Contributor
Christophe78
My Device: Playbook / BB10 dev alpha

I had exactly same problem here. This is not very intuitive. Beeing in landscape, the apps should be on one screen (no scroll down)
Anyway thanks for the trick, I really spend time seeking this.
www.dk-games.com
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Christophe78 wrote:
I had exactly same problem here. This is not very intuitive. Beeing in landscape, the apps should be on one screen (no scroll down)
Anyway thanks for the trick, I really spend time seeking this.

Standard design for tablets and smartphones to scroll to more icons, surely. 

Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Christophe78 wrote:

Well, we'd be somewhat limited to only a certain number of apps then.

The PB is greatly customizable with the ability to add additional side-swipe panes and folders within those panes to contain apps... some people move and categorize all their media apps (camera, pictures, video, streaming video, flicker, etc.) in one folder, all messaging (facebook, twitter, Blaq, etc) in another folder or pane, then games in another, etc., and so on.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook

Yes - the Playbook and iPad/iPhone screen and icon behaviour are very similar (almost identical actually) but, if I recall correctly, the size & number of icons per page on iPad stays the same when you change orientation, whereas on PB you get lots more space because their size scales. Not sure what it would do if you filled the PB home screen in portrait mode but assume it would go to next possible "free" space on pg2.

Most of the other tablets present themselves primarily as portrait mode devices whereas Blackberry has gone the opposite route, so it catches us off guard when the apps get hidden away "off screen" in landscape.

I do prefer that PB doesn't kick me out of app world every time I install an app the way the itunes AppStore does just to watch the app icon loading though.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gumnutninja wrote:
 Not sure what it would do if you filled the PB home screen in portrait mode but assume it would go to next possible "free" space on pg2.

No, the icons continue to add to the bottom of the screen... just scroll or flick upwards to scroll down.

There is no "page 2", but there are and you can create additional "panels" to the right of the main icon screen. Swipe your finger to go to the next panel.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

For all the newbies here regarding the PlayBook. If you are looking for something that you think should be on the screen, but in not there, remember to swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal more commands , try it now on this Page as you read it. Not every app will have this but most do. Just something to keep in mind.
Regular Contributor
jaysus858
My Device: Z10, DC, 9810, 9800, 8520, Playbook

Like a folder, anything downloaded/saved more than whats on screen is gonna be shown below it.

The playbook does support multiple apps being show, you just have too many on that one page, click and hold app and drag onto another to create folder or drag it far right to have it on a 2nd page.

I've set out all the important apps up on my bar up top (to remove ones from there same principle; click and hold then drag off of the bar)

Tis Jaysus!