Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
tomgr
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Playbook backup

Backing up playbook.  When about 2/3 complete the error message comes up.

"There was an Error backing up.  There could have been a problem with the device or connection."

Tried 3 times connection to different USB ports, same message everytime.

Backing up to computer with Windows 7, 64 bit.

Backed up on the same computer last April without any problems.

Playbook shows up as a "drive"  when connected to the computer.

Any suggestions please? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Q10 / Playbook

Re: Playbook backup

I found this article:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB33275&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

Looks like an issue with the BlackBerry Desktop Software 7.1 (Bundle 33)

See if you can download the latest version from http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html

From the version numbers, looks like the current version is bundle 42. (710_b042_multilanguage.exe)

My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Thank you for your help and time.   It worked perfectly!!!

Cheers

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dmmcanada
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Sasktel

Glad it worked for tomgr, it did not for me.

Playbook OS 2.1.0.1526, Desktop 7.1 b042 (downloaded today) Win 7 Home Premium.  6GB RAM.

I have 3.4GB of apps, files and settings.  Settings is only 1.6MB and backs up no prob.  The apps are 1.7GB, same with files/media, and both failed / timed out. 

I was watching my ram while it backed up, and it seems to stop when "free" physical memory runs out.  Even after a fresh PC boot it gobbles up all memory until it fails.  Not a great theory, I know. 

I am doing this to fix the "missing icons" problem, which I encountered while trying to hook up my new Z10 through BB bridge.  When I learned that BB bridge is crippled compared to my old 9800, I gave that up.  I had the bridge icons for SMS, BBM, mail etc in the task bar and when I stopped using bridge, tried to put other frequently used icons there.  First was the browser and it disappeared.  Then, following Einsteins definition of insanity, I draged the PB mail icon there and it disappeared too.

In summary:

- Bridge went backwards with OS 10 which is a real shame.  That was the best idea RIM had: a tablet sized screen extension for your phone!  Way cool!

- when giving up on bridge, take care if you drag other icons to the task bar.  I would guess many Playbook owners will eventually lose icons.  If you do, this post got me through it.

- to recover the icons you need to reset the PB to factory.  You should try to back up your stuff, but it might not work.

I am a BB fan, and especially a Playbook fan.  RIM should stay in the tablet game using QNX, add functionality to the bridge rather than remove it, and promote the playbook as a big external HMI for your phone.  The world might be less poluted with iPhones as a result.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
sarah75
My Device: Playbook

Losing icons by careless moving in and out of the quick launch bar may not need a debrick if you also get the error  "array_insert invalid array index". You just need to look at   http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33078

Sarah.
Please use plain text.
dcm
Contributor
dcm
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

I am having the same probem backing up with windows8, get the same error, tried everything suggested, no help

Please use plain text.