Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Playbook battery will not charge...

Last night I plugged my Blackberry Playbook in, and I noted that the battery power was at 50%. When I unplugged it this morning I saw that it was still at 50%. Over the course of the day I have tried various things to try and get it to charge. When the PB is off it will show the red light for about 10 - 15 seconds, then after a couple seconds it will start to flash the yellow/green light (it varies in colour), after about 45 seconds to 1 minute this will stop and then it will show the lightning bolt icon and an arrow pointing to a plug-in icon which indicates that the PB was disconnected from the power source. It does this every single time I plug it in whilst turned off. 

When the PB is plugged in and is powered on it shows no indication of charging, no lightning bolt appears over the battery icon. As well when I connect it to my laptop it does not indicate any connection has been made.

I have tried various chargers and USB cords including the cords that came with the PB.

I have read other forums on the site and none of the suggestions seem to be helping...

- I have tried what is known as the stack charger..Does not make a difference.

- I have had it plugged in for at least 12 hours over the course of the day

Unfortunately the battery is now only at 14% and I'm fearful that once it goes down to 0, I will be at a complete loss.

Any suggestions?

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Playbook battery will not charge...

You should use only the charger that came with the Playbook on the Playbook. There is a rapid charger that you can purchase that is magnetic that uses the third port on the bottom of the Playbook and that is what I use to charge mine.

The chargers and the USB ports have been known to get damaged by inserting the cable in upside down. Get a magnifying glass and see if the port or the charger is damaged.

Once the PB gets down below a certain voltage on the battery it can be difficult to recharge.

Can you try the Playbook charger on another device and see if it charges that device? If it does, then it's most likely the USB port on the bottom of the Playbook.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for the help. The charger works fine with other devices, and I looked at the PB plug-in. As far as I could tell it looked "ok" but really what do I know. I guess I'll have to look into that other charger.

Thanks again

New Contributor

One last thing... if that plug-in port is no longer functioning does that mean I will no longer be able to connect the PB to my computer?

Guru I
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.2582; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

That's what it means. How old is the Playbook? It may be covered under warranty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!