Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Mo_Scooby
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Vodacom

Playbook being Discontinued

please can someone help regarding the discontinuation of the Playbook??? i contacted Vodacom (service provider) and they are unable to tell me why it has been discontinued
Is it possible that a new is to be released?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,839
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook being Discontinued

It hasn't been discontinued. There is a new 4G LTE model out.

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet.html?lid=us:bb:devices:tablets:blackberryplaybook&lpos=us:b...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Playbook being Discontinued

[ Edited ]

Mo_Scooby wrote:

please can someone help regarding the discontinuation of the Playbook??? i contacted Vodacom (service provider) and they are unable to tell me why it has been discontinued
Is it possible that a new is to be released?

If you are referring to the recent situation that retail stores are finding themselves "sold out" of their PlayBook stock in certain capacities (16 GB or 64 GB) then thats just a logistical issue concerning the 64 GB variety. The 16 GB unit indeed has been discontinued. 

According to Engadget who contacted a RIM PR representative back in June 2012:

Update: RIM's PR has responded with the following statement:

RIM will no longer be making the 16 GB model of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The 16 GB PlayBook will continue to be available for distributors and retailers while quantities last. We continue to remain committed to the tablet space and the 32 GB and 64 GB models of the BlackBerry PlayBook continue to be available from our distributors and retailers around the world.

There is more value for our customers in the higher capacity models (32 GB, 64 GB), and as such we have decided to focus our efforts here.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/has-rim-canceled-the-16gb-playbook/

RIM has officially said that they are committed to the PlayBook. Now it looks like they are concentrating on the larger capacity devices. RIM has also stated that BB OS 10 is coming out for the PlayBook in 2013. It's not dead by any means.

Please use plain text.