Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Mike62226
My Device: Torch 9850, Playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook bricked after 2.1 update today

Following receiving the notice this morning, I completed the Playbook (16gb, wifi) OS update.  The update seemed to proceed normally and I received the screen message indicating is was safe to disconnect.  At this point, the Playbook was rebooting and rolling through the screen colors, so it didn't appear to be hung up.  This went on for over an hour.  At that point, I needed to leave, so I left it in that condition.

After several hours, I came back to find that the Playbook was off.  A swipe didn't bring it up, so it seemed to be completely shut down.  Since then I have not been able to get it to turn on nor have I found a fix on this site or the Crackberry forums. 

Here's what happens with what I've tried:

• If it is plugged in to the usb (on a laptop) and I press and hold the On button, occasionally the red light will flash or will come on and stay on for several seconds before shutting off.
  • A hard reboot (Power/+) is not effective.  No response.
  • As I've tried these steps repeatedly, occasionally after the red light comes on, an amber light will flash 3-4 times, then it shuts down again. 

I'm currently traveling, so I don't have my wall charger with me.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

**Please** provide specific instructions on anything you'd like me to try. 

Have the same problem?  Please reply to establish this isn't specific to a quirk in my situation. 

Thanks in advance -

Mike

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

Re: Playbook bricked after 2.1 update today

[ Edited ]

Mike62226 wrote:

Following receiving the notice this morning, I completed the Playbook (16gb, wifi) OS update.  The update seemed to proceed normally and I received the screen message indicating is was safe to disconnect.  At this point, the Playbook was rebooting and rolling through the screen colors, so it didn't appear to be hung up.  This went on for over an hour.  At that point, I needed to leave, so I left it in that condition.

After several hours, I came back to find that the Playbook was off.  A swipe didn't bring it up, so it seemed to be completely shut down.  Since then I have not been able to get it to turn on nor have I found a fix on this site or the Crackberry forums. 

Here's what happens with what I've tried:

• If it is plugged in to the usb (on a laptop) and I press and hold the On button, occasionally the red light will flash or will come on and stay on for several seconds before shutting off.
  • A hard reboot (Power/+) is not effective.  No response.
  • As I've tried these steps repeatedly, occasionally after the red light comes on, an amber light will flash 3-4 times, then it shuts down again. 

I'm currently traveling, so I don't have my wall charger with me.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

**Please** provide specific instructions on anything you'd like me to try. 

Have the same problem?  Please reply to establish this isn't specific to a quirk in my situation. 

Thanks in advance -

Mike

Mike, there isn't anything you can do since you don't have your 1.8A rapid charger with you (fold out prong one). Your PlayBook's battery has discharged and though you have some lights coming on (that's a good sign). You will require a wallcharger to bring it back to life.

This details the flashing light characteristics: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Forum-Mods-Please-make-this-a-sticky-Blac...

Also, please review this page too - it's a little older but still important: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB26808&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

New Contributor
Mike62226
My Device: Torch 9850, Playbook

Thanks. That's encouraging. I guess I'm surprised it discharged since it was at around 70% when I started the update and it was connected throughout the update and after to the USB. I appreciate the quick response and will update this after I get back on Tuesday.
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

Mike62226 wrote:
Thanks. That's encouraging. I guess I'm surprised it discharged since it was at around 70% when I started the update and it was connected throughout the update and after to the USB. I appreciate the quick response and will update this after I get back on Tuesday.

No problem. On Tuesday, if you run into problems then we'll work our way through them.

Just a heads up, in future, only do updates with your rapid charger plugged into the device at the same time. I can't find where they specifically say to do that, but I did read it somewhere so that's why I know to do that myself (if I can find a source, I will relay it). I think it's to prevent issues like this from happening. And now, reading your story, confirms (and reinforces) that to me. 

Have a good rest of your trip.

Update: The very last line of this document states that when doing the update that a wall charger should be used at the same time: http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB26152&sliceId=2&di...

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

The screen inviting the update does say you must be connected to a power source before proceeding.  

You may just be able to power up and charge it. If the power ran out during the install you will probably have to debrick it Come back and ask or search the forum for debrick. 

________
New Contributor
Tim850
My Device: playbook32gb

I have the same thing happened to me when I clicked "update to Version 2.1.0.1088" today. But I have my charger plugged in to my playbook. After the unit went in to reboot, the screen turned into black. It has been few hours now and still show a black screen. However I can see the back light still on. Please help, I will start travel next week and I need this thing working. Thank you. 

Super Contributor
TroyTempest
My Device: Playbook 32

OK here comes the science...

Debrick...

Make sure you know your Blackberry ID and password

If you can, backup important data. Preferably by wifi share drag n drop as well as desktop backup.

Turn Playbook right off (i.e. Shut Down)

Ensure you have the latest Blackberry Desktop Software to your PC or Mac and start it up

Connect the Playbook by USB cable.

If the red light starts to glow press the Off button.

Because Playbook is off you will get an error message basically saying Retry or Update  (on Mac it says repair rather than Update)

Quickly select the Update (or repair) option

The Playbook will start to get a new OS that will take a good hour to download via the PC

Follow the registration process using your current Blackberry ID

(at this point test your problem again)

Add back your email accounts etc.

Reinstall your apps from App World, My World. 

Copy back your data.

(test your problem again)

You may lose data permanently!

________
New Contributor
Tim850

Thank you for taking time to reply. This is what happened to me:

I have not used my playbook for a while. The version it run before update is 2.0.1.358.

When I see update to Playbook OS 2.1.0.1088 is available, I clicked update.

After about 20 minute it shows update complete, click reboot to Playbook, I did.

Then the screen turned to blank, the back light still on for more than 5 hours. The wall charger is plugged all the time. Then I tried power off button, press down all 3 reset button, non of them can turn the unit off and no red light flashing too. Now I know why people call it Bricked, just like Windows crashed left a blue screen.

Now I am afraid I lost every thing on the playbook and it will take hours to get it reset if I am lucky it will work again.

I don't know what to say to RIM and wondering if it worth it for me to stayed with Blackberry for this long without see a light at the end of .....     

New Contributor
Tim850

I followed debrick istructions listed above.

1. download the newest version of the desktop software 7.0

2. connected playbook with my laptop with USB cable

3. when the light up and selected update/repair

4. when asked to download OS 2.1.0.1088, click install

5. during the install process it stops at uploading RAM immage with progress bar in 1/2 possition

then a message popup saying I need to go to control panel/system / device manager / USB hub / power

management / allow power saving..

6 the progress bar moved to 2/3 possition and stop again, more than half hour now still freezed,

Or is it dead? The unit was charging up whole morning.

I need this fixed urgently, anyone can help appreciated? 

Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine

[ Edited ]

Sounds like your PC is going to sleep. Turn off Power Management in Windows and try again: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-power-management-on-windows-vista/