Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
lasm2000
My Device: Playbook

Playbook browser fails to load web pages after latest update

Hello, I just installed the latest OS upgrade this morning. After it the browser has failed to load many pages. I am talking about really common pages like google, bing or amazon. It loads up to around 1/3 of the blue bar and then it stops loading. Some sites like google load up to 80% or so but they take ages. Other sites never load at all.

I have tried rebooting, disabling javscript and flash, deleted ALL the historial, cache, cookies... All to no avail. This is a big bummer, a tablet without a functional browser amounts to a fancy paperweight.

I know for sure it isn't the connection since all my other devices have normal access to internet. Furthermore, the App World and the facebook app work perfectly. Even funnier, facebook works well in the pb browser, but not amazon or google! :Surrender:

Any idea? I can see that it is happening to other users: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/browser-problem-normal-686845/

Developer
obone
My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha

Re: Playbook browser fails to load web pages after latest update

Hi lasm2000,

To be sure, remove and add again Wi-Fi connection.
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group
Developer
cas118
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB

If resetting the wifi connection doesn't work, then it might be an issue with the MTU settings on your router.

Try lowering your MTU (maximum transmission unit) by 2 and try again. Keep going until you have gone past more than a difference of 20 of the original value.

If it still doesn't work, put the MTU back as it won't be that.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
araskin
My Device: Bold 9900, 9810, 9780, 9650 and so many others

+1 on this issue. I have 2 PBs. One is running 2.0.1.668 with a static IP. The other is running 2.1.0.560 with dynamic IP.

The .668 PB is unable to access any page on WWW. It starts to load and then just hangs at around 40%. The 2.1.0.560 is having no issue.

I am going to try a few things to see if I can solve it and will post back here if I worked it out. I have all ready tried clearing the browser cache and then rebotting but that has not solved the problem.

Developer
araskin

OK so I have fixed it on my PB.

1. The first thing I did was take it off static IP and just use dyamic IP - This made no difference. The pages would still not load.

2. So then I deleted the wi-fi profile and then created it again - Presto! All the pages loaded fine.

3. I then put it back onto static IP and everything continued to function as expected.

Not sure if this will fix it for everyone but I would try deleting and then re-creating the Wi-fi profile again. Seemed to do it for me....

:-)

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

What DNS servers did you specify?

I use openDNS.com on that PB since it's used by my 9 year old. I want to make sure that she only sees what's appropriate.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

[ Edited ]

Could have been your problem. Failure to "load many pages " (ie not all) sounds like dns. Deleting the wifi connection would have cleared the dns setting. I know you just put it back, but it's still the most likely cause of selective address resolution failure. Cheers.

My Device: Playbook

Ok, I waited a full day working fine to see if it was solved permanently. It was indeed solved by removing and then adding again the connection + reseting the modem (just to be sure). What I find funny is that when I had the problem intially I connected to a totally different wifi connection which I hadn't used before and the problem still was there. Maybe the dns settings are inherited on what is loaded on memory or something like that.

I would suggest removing wifi, reboot (probably a hard reboot by pressing the three bottons at once) and then add the connection again. Let us know if it works.

Developer
araskin

So it seems that the issue has reared its ugly head again. This morning my 9yo started complaining that the internet isn't working for her anymore on her PB.

First I removed her custom DNS settings so that it uses our ISP's standard DNS (like all the other devices in the house). Unfortunately this did not help. Her page still loads to about 40% and then hands. 

I then tried deleting the wi-fi profile, clearing cache and rebooting the PB but still no change in behavior. 

I then went and deleted her IP address from the router DHCP reservation table (she has a fixed IP) and then did a hard reset on the PB, also re-created her wi-fi profile and that seemed to fix it. I am now storngly suspecting some sort of issue with the fact that she has a fixed IP (on the router I allocated her mac address to a specific IP adress). So I will leave her with dynamic IP and see what happens.

Hmmmm...