Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
gil69
My Device: torch9810 / Playbook

Re: Playbook connects but does not communicate Windows 8

[ Edited ]

HI,

Sorry, - got myself poorly!

Anyway, you're welcome.  Pleased to hear that you got your Playbook working fine with XP.  Shows the Playbook is good, and shows that Windows 8 settings were preventing access.

Most large Companies are still on XP because it's reliable; the cost of updating thousands of pc's is prohibitive - and it's a brill O/S anyway.

However, Microsoft are intent on ending support, or so they keep saying so it's as well to have windows 7/8 as well.

What I do is keep one hard drive with XP working on it (it is a pig to install though, with all the driver discs and time it takes to install).

Then I have a second hard drive and install windows 8 on it (simplicity itself compared to XP, as you'll know)!

I can then boot from either drive, keeping both updated,- not a huge chore.

I use Win 8 as the default boot then altenatively boot into XP if theres something there, (your Playbook in your case) that doesn't work with Windows 8.

I don't recommend you dual boot them on the same hard drive because imaging can be a nightmare (for Windows 7/8 rather than for XP).  That's because when you install win7 or 8 as a dual boot with XP, it puts the boot records in XP.  If you ever have to restore XP you're ok, but with 7or8 it can't find the boot records and needs the Windows disc to restore them!  Idiotic.

Of course, I have other partitions on each disc to keep the non-operating system items on (videos, music, photos, et al).  Having 2 hard drives isn't a waste.

You might like to try it and see.

If the wrong o/s boots up by default, simply swap the hard drive data cables over at the motherboard.  (Were talking sata).

Booting to the non default is a matter of pressing usually f11 or f12 to get to boot selection mode for the choice.  This needs to be enabled in the bios and usually is.  Pressing ether f8 or del during boot usually takes you into BIOS if necessary.

The you can use Windows 8 usually but boot to XP for the Playbook.

Hope there are some ideas for you, it's a shame to deny youself the 'pleasures' of Windows 8, lol. (Seriously, it's good once you install windows classic shell and boot straight to desktop with a start menu etc. present).

Good luck.  Glad the Playbook's working.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
juddr
My Device: Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Bell

I am having the same problem.  I fixed my firewall settings (Resolution 1) and I rebooted (Resolution 2) to no avail.  I checked the Windows 8 Device Manager entry for the Playbook, the General Device Status reads - This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).  I tried to Update the driver to no avail.  It seems to me there is something wrong with the Playbook Windows 8 driver.

Any help is much appreciated.

This is most annoying as everthing was working fine until I upgraded to Windows 8.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
juddr
My Device: Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: Bell

I found a solution to my problem.  I rolled back the Windows 8 device driver to 'Research In Motion Driver 2.0.0.29 - 5/5/2011' and all work as expected.  Also, I notices that under the Advanced tab, the Network Address value was set to 0.  In the driver that failed, the value was set to 'Not Present'.

Please use plain text.
kenzhong2
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: 3

Thanks mate.. This solved my problem for playbook in Windows 8..

Just rollback the driver and it's done :Clap:

Please use plain text.
Heithwald
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700, BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: MTS

Hey there. Where did you get this 'Research In Motion Driver 2.0.0.29 - 5/5/2011' from?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gg99
My Device: playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

I went throught some trouble shooting on my playbook with latest update with my 2indow 8 x64 PC and finnaly IO got it working

here is what got on my Playbook OS  2.1.0.1526

I went trhu uninstall blackberry device mgr and also desktop softwoare

make sure the the security software allows the playbook's usb  network mac address is give full access to network

disconnect the playbook form the pC

reboot

login in as administrator

connect the pc to playbook

when the cd drive for playbook shows up, click install

when done, reboot as requested

login as admin again

if the playbook is not mounted as dirve Z: or close to Z:: after a few minutes, then look in device manager, view-> show hidden device

if there is an amber waring of teh playbook device

open it up and see if teh device was not loaded.

if unable to load, try the following:

- open up the device manager adn set automount, optionall auto opening explorer to the mounted drive letter

-close eveything

-disconnect and wait a few seconds and connec the play book

-watch for any popup the need to your OK

-hopefully the device drive is loaded this time around and you find teh playbook drive Z:...

- if not try downlaod theplaybook desktop 7.1. software (710_b042_multilanguage.exe) from blackbaryy.com

-install that

-reboot

- login as administrator

- make sure not to miss any request for permission form blackberry device or software

- if playbook show up as mounted, great, you are done.

- if not look at the device manager. if windows was unable to laod the device, try update the drive from device manager

- disconnect and reconnect playbook, if works, stop

- if not  use devmgmt to roll back device,

- disconnect and reconnect playbook;this should definitely work - at least it worked for me:

here is a snapshot of the work blackberry device manager version info

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
gg99
My Device: playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: none

try update the drivever in device maanger, if taht does not work, rollback, if that does nto work
look at my other full detail reply
Please use plain text.
froy13
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Tmobile

Has anyone figured this out.  I just lost all my data on my playbook while to trying to connect to my PC using windows 8.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gil69
My Device: torch9810 / Playbook

Well, I've figured it out for me at any rate.  And there's a referal to my first article by another member as being a pretty comprehensive guide.  (Thanks again for that btw).

Look at my prior 3 posts and follow them absolutely thoroughly. (from the first to the last), trying to connect wirelessly after completing each guide unti you can connect. 

I can certainly connect everytime by data cable or wirlelesly; to windows XP, 7 and 8.

A bit late for yourself I think, but until you can connect and know it, always do it wirelessly; it will either conect immediately or say it cannot connect.  The reason I recommend that route is that if it connects it does it immediately.  Opening a pane with 2 folders in it.   You can then open folders, drag and drop or delete items, etc.: If it cannot connect, it cannot wipe the content of your Playbook of course!  If it does connect it is safe and only the user can cause damage by deleting something that oughtn't be deleted.

One other thing I have found since my last post:  a couple of times my pc has failed to connect wirelessly to my playbook - grrr.  However, on looking at my Playbooks IP address on each of these occasions I found that the last digit of my IP address had changed; so that's worth checking if you come across the problem.  So far the final digit on my Playbook has been 6, 5 and 1!!!!!  Perhaps some other wireless connection (Ipad? laptop) made it move.  Life and Windows are a mystery (and Playbooks).

Hope this helps someone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
melissa_mcbride
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: 02

i have this exact same problem, did you get this solved?

Please use plain text.