Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Forums Veteran I
My Device: PlayBook 32 & 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Teksavvy

Re: Playbook crashing wifi network (802.11 g/n)

Because of the high security level that Rim uses, its very picky about the settings. Other tablets and phones are not so picky and most will automatically pick network settings. The highest encryption level available is AES and the PB is the only tablet certified to use this level. That is the problem. You might try the encryption as Auto so the various devices will choose TKIP. I would also leave the 802.11 mode at n. It can run much faster than g and many are using n successfully. You should be able to run at both 2.5 and 5 Ghz. Some older devices will only use 2.5 newer may use 5.0. So select both.
The biggest problem is that we in the Community Forum give advice to people and if that advice is good and works, most people do not respond and tell us it works. So in the end we don't really know what works and what doesn't.
In my own case I could not connect to my router but my neighbour had an open signal so I was able to get everything setup on his router. A week later I reinstalled my network and it has been great since. My PB has caused no problems since I got it last August. I am really impressed with it. So good luck with whatever you do. Afterwards let us know what worked.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: n-a

Hi Lost,

I'll be having a go in the morning - this afternoon/evening wasn't a good time to disrupt the wifi. I will definitely continue to document to the forum and promise faithfully to post whatever solution finally works. Despite this slightly rocky start, it is easy to see that once it is running, it is a really nice machine.

I'm not sure I understand what else I will have to do to set up the Playbook - I thought I had done everything except setting up Bridge which I don't expect to use. 

Re the router.. To start, I will try simply adding the WPA/WPA2 security and leaving the Mode set to accept b/g/n to see if that makes the difference. Not sure why an open network would cause more problems than a closed one but am willing to give it a go ;-) if that doesn't work I can then try setting it to g only. If I set it to n only, is it likely that other devices on the network will fail to connect?  

I haven't found anything about being able to select 2.5-5 GHz. I searched the manual and found only this mention in the Specifications.. Frequency Range: 2.4GHz to 2.483GHz 

I did snoop around the logs and the Playbook shows up several times as "Wireless system with MAC address ... disconnected for reason: Received Deauthentication" I don't know what that means and no idea if this is relevant but, of 10 devices connected, the only two devices it shows up for are my iphone and my playbook. 

The current settings and related manual info are:

Enable auto channel scan = yes (The Auto Channel Scan setting can be selected to allow the DIR-625 to choose the channel with the least amount of interference.)

Wireless Channel = greyed out  (Indicates the channel setting for the DIR-625. By default the channel is set to 6. The Channel can be changed to fit the channel setting for an existing wireless network or to customize the wireless network. If you enable Auto Channel Scan, this option will be greyed out.)

NB - On the Device Info / Status summary, Channel says 10.

802.11 Mode =  Mixed 802.11n, 802.11b, and 802.11g

• Options are
    802.11g Only - Select if all of your wireless clients are 802.11g.
    Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b - Select if you are using both 802.11b and 802.11g wireless clients.
    802.11b Only - Select if all of your wireless clients are 802.11b.
    802.11n Only - Select only if all of your wireless clients are 802.11n.
    Mixed 802.11n, 802.11b, and 802.11g - Select if you are using a mix of 802.11n, 11g, and 11b wireless clients. 

Channel width = Auto 20/40  

• Options are
    40MHz - Select if you are using all 802.11n devices for maximum performance.
    Auto 20/40 - This is the default setting. Select if you are using both 802.11n and non-802.11n wireless devices.
    20MHz - Select if you are not using any 802.11n wireless clients.

Transmission rate = Best (Auto) 

Select the transmit rate. It is strongly suggested to select Best (Auto) for best performance.

Wireless Security Mode

• This device supports three wireless security modes including: WEP, WPA-Personal, and WPA-Enterprise. WEP is the original wireless encryption standard. WPA provides a higher level of security. WPA-Personal does not require an authentication server. The WPA-Enterprise option requires an external RADIUS server.
  • Use WPA or WPA2 mode to achieve a balance of strong security and best compatibility. This mode uses WPA for legacy clients while maintaining higher security with stations that are WPA2 capable. Also the strongest cipher that the client supports will be used. For best security, use WPA2 Only mode. This mode uses AES(CCMP) cipher and legacy stations are not allowed access with WPA security. For maximum compatibility, use WPA Only. This mode uses TKIP cipher. Some gaming and legacy devices work only in this mode. To achieve better wireless performance use WPA2 Only security mode (or in other words AES cipher).

Thanks again for continued feedback!!  

Trusted Contributor

Hi again Lost et al, 

Here's an update..

I changed the settings to WPA2 with PSK/AES encryption. Everything seemed somewhat more stable but after streaming media on the Playbook for a while, the network did end up crashing as before.

It took a lot longer this time though. Before it happened within a few minutes, this time it took closer to 10 or 15 of streaming but seemed otherwise stable. Besides the security/encryption, the only difference to the previous situation was that the Playbook and my laptop were in different rooms and laptop was a wired connection to router.

I will see how it performs with/without the streaming for a little longer and be a bit more systematic in my observations before I  try changing the setting from Mixed (802.11b, g, n) to 802.11g only in order to better asses what/if-any difference that makes. 

I spoke to our ISP tech support who suggested I may want look into "port forwarding" - she agreed that the PB certainly shouldn't be crashing the network and hadn't heard of this happening with other customers. I can find the port-forwarding settings on the router set-up easily enough but have zero clue what I'd be doing so am not touching it for now ;-)

I have been trying to keep an eye on the logs from the router & the playbook but nothing stands out. If there is anything specific I should be looking for, pls let me know.

btw - The streaming quality on the playbook is awesome!  

Forums Veteran I

Remember to reboot your router and devices after you make a change in order for the changes to take effect.
Forums Veteran I

That router you have, the Buffalo WZR HP AG300H is a dual band router. It should be able to run all older equipment (phones, computers etc) on the 2.5 Ghz band and all the newer faster devices on the 5.0 Ghz band. HD streaming on 802.11 n at 5.0 Ghz should be awesome if everything is set up properly. The router is not that old even though it was discontinued in Canada in 2011.
Trusted Contributor

Oh - It got rebooted alright.. I inadvertently hit an on/off button on the modem I didn't know was there and spent about two hours trying to figure out why we had not connection even direct wired to the router.. ;-)

My router is the D-Link DIR-625 - not the Buffalo WZR HP AG300H - maybe that's someone else? 

Forums Veteran I

Yes, getting it mixed with another but similar problem. You only have the one band, is that correct?
BTW, it would be nice to get this thing running smooth today because I will be out of touch from tomorrow morning until Tuesday evening but I am sure other forum members will be here to assist.
Trusted Contributor

1 band..? I think so. The specs for the router said Frequency Range: 2.4GHz to 2.483GHz  That's still not 2.5 so not sure if that's what you're referring to. Found no mention of anything close to 5 GHz...

I can try setting it to g only and see what that does. Adding the encryption seems to have improved things - PB still loses its connection as soon as I use the browser for a few minutes but it's seems like it's no longer bringing the entire network down. 

This is the log from the last time it failed:

> Security Type: WPA2 Personal
> EAP Method:
> Signal Level: -34 dBm
> Connection Data Rate: 65 Mbps
 > Network Type*: 802.11g/n

*nb - Router shows Playbook wifi connection as: Mode: 11n    Rate: 65    Signal (%): 100 

Supplicant Logs
 > 15:47:56: <2>WPA: Group rekeying completed with  xxrouterMACxx [GTK=CCMP]
> 15:46:06: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to xxrouterMACxx completed (reauth) [id=1 id_str=]
> 15:46:06: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with xxrouterMACxx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
 > 15:46:06: <2>Associated with xxrouterMACxx 
> 15:46:06: <2>Trying to associate with xxrouterMACxx (SSID='dlink-cheznous' freq=2462 MHz)
> 15:46:02: <2>WLAN_AUTH_FAIL:UNRESPONSIVE_AP: [id=1]
> 15:46:02: <2>Authentication with xxrouterMACxx timed out.
> 15:45:52: <2>Trying to associate with xxrouterMACxx (SSID='dlink-cheznous' freq=2462 MHz)
> 15:35:05: <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
> 15:28:37: <2>WPA: Group rekeying completed with xxrouterMACxx [GTK=CCMP]
> 15:15:01: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to xxrouterMACxx completed (reauth) [id=1 id_str=]
> 15:15:01: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with xxrouterMACxx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
> 15:15:01: <2>Associated with xxrouterMACxx
> 15:15:01: <2>Trying to associate with xxrouterMACxx (SSID='dlink-cheznous' freq=2462 MHz)
> 15:14:57: <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
> 14:56:54: <2>WPA: Group rekeying completed with xxrouterMACxx [GTK=CCMP]
> 14:36:29: <2>WPA: Group rekeying completed with xxrouterMACxx [GTK=CCMP]
> 14:15:37: <2>WPA: Group rekeying completed with xxrouterMACxx [GTK=CCMP]
> 14:03:27: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to xxrouterMACxx completed (auth) [id=1 id_str=]
> 14:03:27: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with xxrouterMACxx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
 > 14:03:26: <2>Associated with xxrouterMACxx 
 > 14:03:26: <2>Trying to associate with xxrouterMACxx (SSID='dlink-cheznous' freq=2462 MHz)

I'll set it to g and see what happens. 

Trusted Contributor

I've set the router to 802.11g only. The Playbook browser definitely seems to be more stable now. I've been loading pages, launching multiple tabs, and streaming without it stalling/disconnecting yet. 

I can keep playing around with it for a while.

My main concern is that, while it may resolve the situation here on a home network that I can control, is it likely the Playbook will experience problems on networks elsewhere that I don't have any control over? Maybe the playbook is expecting to use 5 GHz if in n vs 2.x GHz if in g, so it gets into a conflict with older routers like mine?

I'll definitely need to test it out in a few local cafes and elsewhere and then repost next week.

Forums Veteran I

You are making progress. What settings have you selected when you tap the wifi icon on your PB?