Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja
My Device: playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook crashing wifi network (802.11 g/n)

Hello all. I have recently added a Playbook to a home wifi environment that runs multiple laptops, iphones, blacberry phones, and ipads without problem. Since adding the Playbook, the network has begun to crash within a few minutes of the Playbook accessing the browser or other wifi-related apps.

It seems that the network intermittently but repeatedly fails and resets itself while the Playbook is on but not in use. But if I begin using the Playbook and, in particular, if I use the browser, the Playbook and all other devices in the house lose network connection. When this happens, the router has to be reset manually. 

The Playbook is new. It updated itself in the set-up to run OS Version 2.0.1.358

The wifi router is a Linksys DIR-625.  Network type 802.11 g/n

The Wifi status in the Playbook says the IP Version setting is IPv4. In the DNS Lookup it shows that the Host field is blank (don't know if that is relevant). 

I'm not quite a luddite, but am definitely not geek-calibre either. If there is more informatiion that will help resolve this problem, let me know and I will hunt it out. 

I think it is unfortunate that RIM hasn't been able to release a more trouble-free product. It is hard not to compare it to the user-experience I have had with iphone/ipad but I appreciate that there are aspects of the Playbook that do seem to be very good and will be more than happy with it if this wifi problem can be resolved.

There will be many environments in which I cannot control the router I will want to connect to, so I am crossing my fingers that the fix is a setting in the Playbook and not the routers.

Thanks for any input .. 

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Playbook crashing wifi network (802.11 g/n)

It likely is the router setting. Try setting it to 802.11 g only.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi

Including the Playbook, there are currently 10 devices connected. I looked at the router info - 5 are in 11n mode the other 5 in 11g mode. (see below) The Playbook is one of the ones connecting as 11n. 

1) I don't actually know how to change that setting.. (don't understand the difference/relevance of the two types either - I mentioned it because I've seen posts suggesting PB has a problem with type N)

2) I don't know how this will affect the other devices on the network. 

3) Is the Playbook really so finnicky about network settings that I am going to have this problem cropping up all over the place.. at hotels, cafes, other homes, offices, etc..?

Mode

Rate

Signal(%)

11g

11n

11g

11g

11n

11n

11n

11g

11n

11g

Thanks for replying..  

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Some people are having problems with n mode. PlayBook does not allow using n mode with TKIP or WEP data encryption so if you have those settings it will not work. N mode will work with AES encryption. See KB26522.
You will not likely have problems picking up other wifi signals once the PB is set up properly.
You can also read KB26096 troubleshooting Wifi networks.
PlayBook likes the following settings, WPA, AES,
All the router settings can be changed on your computer. You may be able to set 802.11 to auto select if it is a top notch router, otherwise you will have to change it to g.
Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

gumnutninja wrote:

Hi

Including the Playbook, there are currently 10 devices connected. I looked at the router info - 5 are in 11n mode the other 5 in 11g mode. (see below) The Playbook is one of the ones connecting as 11n. 

1) I don't actually know how to change that setting.. (don't understand the difference/relevance of the two types either - I mentioned it because I've seen posts suggesting PB has a problem with type N)

2) I don't know how this will affect the other devices on the network. 

3) Is the Playbook really so finnicky about network settings that I am going to have this problem cropping up all over the place.. at hotels, cafes, other homes, offices, etc..?

Mode

Rate

Signal(%)

11g

11n

11g

11g

11n

11n

11n

11g

11n

11g

Thanks for replying..  

The setting could be set to "g" mode.  The "n" mode is not giving you any advantage.  Setting to "G" mode will help with many issues.  Like distance.  Set the router should be under the wireless section.  

Set the security to open till you are completely setup.  Then select wpa2 aes and set the password.  Delete thevprofile on the pb and reboot the router you should become.

Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi again

Am scrolling through the different pages on the router settings/status and can't find anything that looks like a "Mode option" to choose between g/n/both..?

Any more hints..? 

If I change the wifi setting, will we need to change profile/connection settings on all the other devices also or will they figure out how to reconnect on their own?

p.s. don't think I'm an iSheep but gotta say, nothing has ever given us quite so much trouble as this little 7 inch bb.. ;-P 

Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Hi - thanks for these answers & insights.. I think the router is set to WPA (I was looking for that earlier) 

I'm new to the forum and to the Playbook so am not sure what "See KB26522. and ...You can also read KB26096 troubleshooting Wifi networks."  is referring to. Am guessing some kind of knowledge base somewhere..?

As I replied to aandras - I am having trouble spotting where to select the n/g/both/auto mode - I've been scrolling through the different pages but am not seeing it. Will keep hunting and dig up the manual but if you have can pinpoint the section it should be in, that will be much appreciated also.

Am also thinking that we may have hit the limit for the number of wireless connections we can maintain with this router. It seems to be capped at 10 dynamic dhcp clients. I'm guessing that if we have all computers, phones and tablets going at once we probably have at least a dozen - maybe one or two more.  o.O

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Maybe not.
What router do you have? How old? Maybe check their website and see if they have any suggestions for the PB.
Trusted Contributor
gumnutninja

Ok - I found the Mode setting..

Options are: (1) 802.11 g ; (2) g & b ; (3) b only ; (4) n only (5) n, g, or b.

It's set to "802.11n, g, or b"

Security option: none, WEP, WPA-Personal, WPA-Enterprise

It's set to open (bit of a remote area so it had been set up as open n/w).

The router is pretty old - discontinued, desupported - DIR-625 RangeBooster N Router. Found an online manual here ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/dir625/Maunal/dir625_manual_101.zip

Forums Veteran I
aandras
My Device: Z10 & Playbook

You may want to upgrade the router to a near one.
Be a Shepard and not an iSheep.