Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
cococan
My Device: Playbook 16 GB

Playbook data wiped out!...

[ Edited ]

I am here not to improve anything -- BlackBerry!  I am here to perhaps save someone from what happened to me today.

It is my back up day of the month.  I connected my Playbook to my PC.  Cannot connect!  I thought that perhaps this is because I have upgraded to Windows 8 and now the desktop software is not fully compatible with the new OS!  BB Desktop offered me to repair...  Of course, why not, that is the normal thing we all expect in that situation.  I need to back up!  And without a connection, I cannot back up all the notes I took so far at work and videos of my ever quickly growing 3.5 year old son! 

Process started!  Than asked me to update my operating system, that is also expected and nothing out of the ordinary -- I said "yes" to  UPDATE!  It said that it may take an hour or so!  "I have time" I thought to myself!  At the end of the waiting, it started to teach me how to use my Playbook.  My heart started racing.  It cannot be!  I didn't see any warnings that my system was about to be wiped out to factory clean state!.  Before I touched anything, I called the technical support.  The poor guy confirmed my fears.  My pictures, notes, videos, even the sound recordings of the consultation I had with a lawyer recently for which I've paid hundreds of dollars is gone!.  Why did I record the conversation?  Ironically -- So that it would cost less if I spent less time recording instead of taking notes hence cost less!  I don't know what else I have lost but now I have to go around the surrounding cities to my customer sites to take all those pictures of the service equipment again which  I have lost.

To summarize what we have here:

1. Repair didn't mean repair, it meant replace,

2. Every software company ask gazillion times if you are sure that you want to wipe out all your data, RIM doesn't follow those conventional s..t for some reason I, for the life of me don't understand why,

3. Process doesn't give the user a chance to back up his/her data.  Why?  I d o n ' t k n o w!!!...

4. A company like RIM who started making things for seripous customers -- businesses, where the risks to RIM's own business is very high don't have a f..ing quality system such as ISO that costs nothing to implement or they have it but implemented it the way they implement their installation/maintenance procedures.

5. Support person was extremely nice but when I told him that he should step on the breaks, do something, pull the alarm cord, do whatever it takes to save the unexpecting people behind me, he said that he cannot do anything!!!  Go figure the company culture and its creators.  Where are these people coming from to become managers at BlackBerry?

This is it for me.  I am sick of waiting and hoping and being optimistic about this Canadian success story to turn around.  Everything they make or do lacks something.  I am done!  I will make sure everyone around me is also done with them.  If you cannot run a successful company with all that money, all these brains that you have hired and can hire, you have to be an **bleep** to fail.  You have been failing since the Bold 9000, perhaps even before!  By the way, I have been in IT business since 1992.  I don't need lecturing about any of these - I know how everything works  and what the problem is in your caves.

Trusted Contributor
rossjackson01
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)

Re: Playbook data wiped out!...

Thank you for the information. I am sure that it will benefit some other user who goes down the route of 'update' not realising it means factory reset. I did not realise that myself. So, thank you.

I do not have Windows 8, but may I ask if you did a backup of your system recently? If so, can you still not do a restore? I wiped my system in error and then was able to get everything back, information form this forum told me to do it.  I was using windows 7.

Hope this helps

Regards to all (except BB)
New Contributor
cococan

[ Edited ]

I backed up my playbook once a month.  I accumulate a lot.  Especially pictures of machinary and videos.  I also shoot videos of my son as the camera in this machine shoots decent quality videos and it is always with me.  I rarely miss the stuff my son does when I am around him! 

So, answer is "no", I do not have daily back up of my tablet but all the other devices have automatic back ups mechanizms, they back up no matter where I am and what kind of connection I have.

Huseyin

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

I feel you pain. This situation has happened to a few people. I am sure that this particular problem will be eliminated soon, hopefully with the upgrade when the PlayBook gets the full OS10 upgrade later this year. Reminds me of the time back in the early nineties when my oldest son spent a whole day on an assignment without saving it, only to receive the Blue Screen of Death with Win 3.1 late in the day.
New Contributor
cococan

Something similar has happened to my friend with her I-Phone!!!  Apple!!!  When she called, Apple told her that they can recover her data for $90... 

It amazes me that we are still having these problems today.  It is easy to plan and implement much better procedures.  If we were in 90's I would understand but today!  Some companies are doing much better than others where all of them have the means to be much better corporations.  I am not upset because I am using some shareware application and it crashed my system! 

Cheers.

Huseyin