Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

JSanders
Solutions: 5,880
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook does not charge.

rat-7 wrote:

But you still do not explain what do you stack the Playbook on, my understanding is that to do stack charging you have to stack 2 Playbooks one on top of the other to charge them

Stack it on a bookcase, your dining room table, your desk or even your knee. :smileywink:

The "stack" in this charging situation refers to the process of "stacking" the charging process upon another stack of charging, etc. Charge/reboot/charge/reboot/charge/reboot

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Dshanty
My Device: Playbox
My Carrier: None...wifi

Ha,
So what's the root cause of this issue?
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Dshanty wrote:
Ha,
So what's the root cause of this issue?

I think the confusion arose from a user not understanding how a "stack" charge works, trying to be helpful to another user.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
georgejost
My Device: Not Specified

A design process that doesn't include obvious failure scenarios? Tight deadlines at RIM. Total contempt

for the end user, ...

In short, other devices handle this, without the user having to do much more than "plug it in" and possibly "reset the device" afterwards.

Or you can blame the user for accidentally allowing the charge to run out on his hardware device. Something a person periodically does accidentally from time to time.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have had to stack charge many different types of electronic devices that sat in a desk for months

its not just with the playbook

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
JSanders

georgejost wrote:

A design process that doesn't include obvious failure scenarios? Tight deadlines at RIM. Total contempt

for the end user, ...

Yes, and twice my wife's iPod was severely drained and after driving it across town (after making an appointment) and paying $50 one of the two times, I prefer the ability to self-charge and reset the device (or stack charge).

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
georgejost

JSanders wrote:

georgejost wrote:

for the end user, ...

Yes, and twice my wife's iPod was severely drained and after driving it across town (after making an appointment) and paying $50 one of the two times, I prefer the ability to self-charge and reset the device (or stack charge).

I frequently drained my iPod to zero power. My iPod did have some weird states where I had to hack with the reset but it was able to drain and start recharging on the get go. I forgot the model, it was the 80GB one that you can watch movies on.

Now, this year, my iPod died. The wheel does not work. I bought it in 2007 and it lasted for at least 3 years of constant use. I've not been using it in the last 2.

Drained my playbook once and it is unusable. The stacking functionality doesn't work. Doing it, finalized the death.

Hopefully, a repair guy can replace the battery.

In short, crappy software and hardware design by RIM.

As for iPod? Well, iTunes had a lot of bugs but at least draining it never killed mine.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

georgejost wrote

As for iPod? Well, iTunes had a lot of bugs but at least draining it never killed mine.

And neither is your PlayBook dead. You just haven't had the time nor patience to fix it, nor the grace for it as you had for your iPod. 

I really feel you just here to rant about RIM/BlackBerry, etc. Your Playbook is fixable, probably even by yourself if you'd try.

Good luck!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
georgejost

JSanders wrote:

georgejost wrote

I really feel you just here to rant about RIM/BlackBerry, etc. Your Playbook is fixable, probably even by yourself if you'd try.

Good luck!

I tried all the recipes for rebooting. None of them worked.

I'm not "anti-RIM". Hell, I LOVED my BB bold which was for the most part a good product. I also love MANY things about the Playbook. The issues I've mentioned can be FIXED. RIM can fix these issues and have a better product.

If they don't fix issues like this, they are going to continue to lose market share. Indeed, one hopes that "OS 10" will have somebody who cared about and knows about these issues.

Thing is, the BB bold runs out of charge all the time. It can be recharged. Good product.

This product is "designed" so that it can't be recharged if its totally dead. The stacking, as far as I can tell, doesn't work. Certainly no normal user can be expected to do that.

Compare that to my iPod, BB Bold, iPhone, computer, etc, etc, which in order to recharge

Please use plain text.
JSanders

So, the question remains, are you here to get your Playbook fixed, or just to rant. This is a support forum, and this thread *was* intended to help a user get his working.

Do you need help with yours or not and what's the question you have?

Otherwise, your posts are simply your ranting, and out of place and offtopic in this thread.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.