Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
Blakeroberts
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Bell

Playbook doesn't support editing PDF files online? I'm officially done with the playbook

First I learn that files moved from a PC to the Playbook go all into one folder, dropping all the PC subfolders into one mess on the playbook. Thousands of documents that had previously been in dozens of folders all piled into one hard to sort through disaster on the playbook.

NOW i find out that the playbook doesn't allow me to go onto a website and edit my documents online.

I still have to have my laptop with me at all times for business purposes

I don't want to rant to much at RIM because maybe I should have checked my facts.

Yes the Playbook is great for browsing the web away from the office, no complaint there.

But for my business both online and otherwise I need my laptop at all times.

As a business tool its useless for me.  I thought BLACKBERRY was all about BUSINESS

I reluctantly take it back to Staples today. I was REALLY looking forward to the arrival of the Playbook as a time saving, money making tool for business.

It has done the exact opposite, plus thrown in a whole lot of frustration in the week since I have owned it.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,838
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook doesn't support editing PDF files online? I'm officially done with the playbook

Well, exactly, a laptop it is not, and I've never seen anyone try to insinuate or promise that it would be.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. So far so good for me. I too await some of the upcoming software upgrades to add BBMessenger and other features, but for now, it is what I've expected and serving me well.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Blakeroberts

Re: Playbook doesn't support editing PDF files online? I'm officially done with the playbook

I didn;'t think it would serve as a laptop.

But for business people, what does it do? If it isn't functional for files and you cant work on files online what good is it. Business isn't about surfing the web, its about working on the.

That wasn't a rhetorical question, business people out there. What does it do for business.

I know the bridge with the BB is good. so handling emails is great and accessing your contacts is great.

But for business, other than that, what is there?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Acenet
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Hello Blakeroberts,

if you don't mind, I have a short question:

what do you mean by "..the playbook doesn't allow me to go onto a website and edit my documents online.". Is it a website in particular, that doesn't work properly on PlayBook ?

JC
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Blakeroberts wrote:

But for business people, what does it do? If it isn't functional for files and you cant work on files online what good is it. Business isn't about surfing the web, its about working on the.

Well for your specific realtor business, trying to access specific sites that may be incompatible, maybe so. But "business" is much larger than jsut what you do. It's fine for my own private business and what I need it to do for reviewing large graphic PDF file for approval, for managing a customer database online, for having access to the files I need when I need them and so on. And I've only used it a week so far, much more to try and I am sure challenges to come. But I'll deal with that when I get to it.

But for you, yea, you've discovered it's not for you. That doesn't mean EVERYONE using the Playbook for business is in your shoes.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Blakeroberts

Hi Acenet

The issue isn't apparently with "particulary websites" When I called tech support this morning and said I was having trouble accessing files files on a couple websites that I edit online I was told the Playbook "doesn't support that function."

Please use plain text.
JSanders

If you could really post some detail it would be helpful. Otherwise, it's a just vague general statement. What website?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Blakeroberts

Hi Sanders

I agree some people have different requirements.

And like I said, for strictly viewing on the web for the most part the PB is fine. Getting on my online database its great.

But not being able to access editiable documents online is a major flaw for business.

You mention having access to files is working for you. Yes, as long as you don't have a lot of files, because the inability to catagorize is a major headached if you do.

Because of the shortcomings of the PB for my business I have to take my laptop with me the large majority of the time. Just makes the Playbook pointless.

Blackberry has always been a business tool. That was what separates it from the I Phone line. All the shortcomings of the PB considering what BB has always stood for dont add up

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Blakeroberts

The site in question, Realtorlink.ca.

But like I said, Tech support didn't have to look into the site. They said the PB doesn't support editing PDF files online
Please use plain text.
JSanders

meh, give it time.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.