Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch (9800) & Playbook 16 GB
My Carrier: Bell

Playbook drains in rapid charger

Hi,

I have noticed something weird in using the rapid charger (stand). First, I noticed that when I put the playbook in the stand, the charging mode is verified as indicated by the little flash symbol. However, after a while, the display shows only a regular full battery load symbol (green battery). Is this normal (i.e., would the charger stop once the battery is fully charged and the display no longer shows the flash symbol)? Then, twice now it happened that while the playbook is in the rapid charger pod and I ran an app (Nightstand alarmclock from Antair in one case and the Photo Frame Pro in the other case) the battery was fully drained after several hours. Am I wrong in assuming that if one runs these applications while the playbook is being charged, this should not happen? Anyone have similar experiences?

BTW, connecting the playbook to the charger pod is a bit odd (one shifts the device until it "clicks in"). 

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Playbook drains in rapid charger

Hi,

From my experience, once the PlayBook is 100% charged, it stays that way while on the charger.  I have had issues with the lightning bolt being displayed and it not being charged.  This has happened from day one.  My work-around is to connect it, then do a quick disconnect/reconnect and that usually starts it charging.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide, SuperClip
Accepted OS4-7 SmartPhone App: KeepLightOn
Contributor
My Device: Playbook wifi 64GB
My Carrier: none

My battery drained overnight a few days ago while on the charging stand and playing a video in repeat mode. I came to the conclusion that it was either not sitting in the stand quit right, or it required a reset because of a bug, or some dirt was on the power contacts and needed a dusting off. As this problem has not been repeated, possibly one of my conclusions was correct, though I haven't put the video into repeat mode to test that aspect.

New Contributor

Thank you Harry for your reply. It seems a slightly different issue (as in my situation it did charge initially) but I will keep this in mind for sure.

Pascal

New Contributor

Thanks for this reply. Not siting in the correct position might indeed be an issue (see my comment on the odd way one has to "find" the lucky spot), but in my case it started charging properly (showing the flash symbol), but then once fully charged the symbol changed (I assume because once full, charging mode stops?) and then the battery was drained despite being in the charging stand (and not being removed prior to starting the app). Anyways, I'll definitely keep your suggestions in mind to see if such a situation happens again. Any other/similar experiences out there?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Possible the rapid charger only rapid charges and not do a trickle/maintain charge after it reaches 100%.

wish I had a rapid charger to test my theory

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Thanks, that is indeed a possibility. I would assume someone at RIM would know the answer to this? It would seem strange to me though that once there is a certain drain, it should revert back to charging mode? Or would it need a reset (like taking it out of the charging pod and then put it back in)? All seems very odd to me.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + Z30 + Playbook 64
My Carrier: Rogers

knottyrope wrote:

Possible the rapid charger only rapid charges and not do a trickle/maintain charge after it reaches 100%.

wish I had a rapid charger to test my theory

I do have the base and my Playbook spend most of its off use time on it, and so far I have seen it been top off and then the power level on the Playbook remains at full charge no matter how much I use it from the the base

Hope this help

---------------------------------------------
Using the Playbook and the Z10 and the Z30 and loving them

Martin
New Contributor

Thanks, that does help. I will keep a close eye on this and see if these were incidents or not re my BB rapid charger combination.