Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 32GB
My Carrier: N/A

Playbook experience and children

I recently bought a few playbooks for my young boys. While I undertand that the Blackberry brand has predominently been for business, the current pricing, the name 'Playbook' and the store filled with games makes it seem RIM would love to expand the market beyond core business; however, I am pretty sure no one that develops this new BB OS has childrren using the device and operating system. Here is my summary in case anyone is listening and in case young families is a market that they want to consider supporting. Perhaps these issues are covered in the upcoming BB10 OS:

* My children can easily delete apps. Because the backup process is not done on the cloud, we did not backup recently. In fact, we have never installed the deskop software. Other systems don't rely on desktop connections anymore for this sort of function. Here are the ways my children have deleted apps:

* long pressing by mistake and then selecting the app to play it

* Turning wifi on (which we had turned off) and then seeing a notification that takes them straight to the App World (which we had hidden in a folder off the first screen). Once in the app store, they have mistakenly deleted apps in My World very easily. I don't believe there is any form of confirmatiion.

Steps to make BB OS more family friendly:

* Have security options password protected on device.

* In this security section, let families turn off the following:

* ability to install and delete apps.

* ability for wifi or bluetooth to be turned on and off

* ability for App World to be accessed via password or not

Minimually provide more confirmation for destructive actions.

For other families, please note that my 5 year old son deleted his Adrenaline 6 racing game by mistake after completing 80% of the game losing all his unlocked cars which took him forever. Besides making for a very unhappy little boy, now when I go to My World to reinstall because the price has changed, we have to purchase the game again. After spending an hour with support on the phone, there is nothing they can do. It was not about the $1 but rather why should we continue buying apps for our kids when we can't easily prevent them from deleting them and may have to repurchase should an app change price. This is not how other platforms work. Yes, we can manually backup these playbooks going forward but the entire experience has been a big disappointment. Perhaps we should have spent a few more dollars for a different brand instead but we were trying to support a formerly great Canadian company.

Solutions: 6,163
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook experience and children

Hothead, if you or your five year old deletes an app or game, just return to AppWorld and reinstall. No biggie.  The apps are stored "in the cloud" in AppWorld. There's no need at all to repurchase the app once deleted.

Beyond that, is there something I am missing in your post?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

You should still be able to install the version of Adrenaline that you downloaded by going into your 'Uninstalled Apps' list in App World.

As for the issue of losing save data, I'm sorry that you did and it is frustrating. I've been there myself.

Some additional parental controls would be nice, but I have kids 3, 4, 8 and 12 and all I can say is that I let them use it supervised and avoid those issues.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I should note that the way my son deleted the app is the notifications that pop up on the top left when an app has an update. It took him straight to My World and right beside the 'Upgrade' option is 'Delete.' 

Yes, the app is listed in My World and it even says 'reisntall.' When I touch that button, I get a message saying the app has changed price and the choice changes to 'Purchase.'

I spent two hours on the phone with two different levels of support. First thing I learned is that although I can backup my playbook, apps and save data pertaining to apps does not get backed up. You are supposed to reinstall from the store for the apps and any app save data is lost.

Second thing I learned is support while attentive and curtious, they don't actually do anything other than convince you that what happened is okay and that they understand your frustration. They don't actually do anything but spend lots of time with you which while seemingly nice also wastes your time. To their credit, they did eventually piece together what they think is going on but did nothing to resolve my problem.

The issue seems to be although they could not confirm is that if you download an app that is free and they later change the price to paid, you then have to pay for it if you want to reinstall. This is completely different that the behavior on the two other leading app platforms where whether paid or free, you always have the app credentials tied to your account. 

The thing that is most frustrating is the app was a 'gift' from Blackberry World when I bought the playbook. We were given two apps for free. They were not demos but full games. Turns out that gift was subject to change given the way their store works.

I don't care about the dollar to rebuy the game. I care about the policies and principles and end user experience RIM has created which is below the industry standard and which unfortunately extends to their support network.

Please, what are the two apps? Please be specific. We can't help if we don't know.

Hothead wrote:

I care about the policies and principles and end user experience RIM has created which is below the industry standard and which unfortunately extends to their support network.

We are Playbook fans. We are users just like you. We enjoy helping users like you resolve issues.

If one of us came to your house asking for help, and told you that your kids were ugly and food is bad, would you be inclined to lend a helping hand?

Please be nice. You can complain without being insulting.

Oh, have you thought of working with your children while using the PlayBook and firmly telling them what they are allowed and disallowed from doing on the device? Parental guidance is wise, especially at that age. Been there.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I appreciate the answers trying to help but there is nothing I have said that is insulting or not nice. Compared to my experiences with other platforms, I feel that the BB platform has some catching up to do with regards to parental controls, backups, store and user support. I have spent time responding in the hopes of someone at BB dev will read some of the comments and some solutions will find their way into some future development backlog for new features. Those are my opinions based on my experiences and I can easily back up my opinions with blow by blow comparisions compared to other platforms if it would help but I am not here to start a flame war so perhaps reread my post and see if you still feel I was insulting. I do appreciate people trying to provide helpful suggestions.

I have worked with my chlidren to try to help them but they are 4 and 5 and click on exclamation points when they show up! They are kids and naturally curious. I certainly did not buy the devices in order to sit by them moment to moment but want them to feel free to explore. I did find an age rating setting just yesterday that lets me limit what they can see on the store that is password protected so that was nice to find but such features should be at the OS level and not in the App World app settings in my opinion. It was not where I would have expected to find it but I am glad I found it.

The only app in question right now is Ashphalt Adrenaline 6 HD as we are not going to uninstall the other one we received to test if it is also affected. The behavior is as I detailed above in other posts. I ended up buying it this morning so my son can start earning the cars and upgrades all over again. It is a great game so it is not the worst thing in the world to replay but I certainly don't like how the platform handles free apps that change to paid later. It is a technical issue where the store does not detect a credit card transaction has occured in the app history so when it switches from free to paid, the store does not find what it is expecting with regards to receipt verification or something similar to that. On Google Play, apps cannot switch from free to paid and on iOS, it treats it like a credit card transaction with no value and if it ever changes to paid, you never have to pay for it. In my opinion, the other platforms have a better policy in this regard.  

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64gb (wifi)
My Carrier: orange UK

[ Edited ]

Hello Hothead

I have read your post a number of times and it is lucid and informative and in my opinion not in any way insulting. The reply you received would have made me very annoyed, yet you replied with dignity and aplomb.

I think when you joined and called yourself 'Hothead' is not indicative of your nature but as a result of the frustration you felt. Others, like you, have vented their frustration and shouted and printed many offensive words or *** to simulate swearing with nothing being said. But you were castigated as to your parentage skills. Hmmm.

Some of the members of this forum are quite defensive and derisively sarcastic in their comments. They do try to help and offer much excellent advice, unfortunately there are many like me, and I do not include you in this comment, that are not totally technically competent. We put requests in plain language and receive much appreciated, but technical advice. We try to use and comprehend that information but end up asking the same question in another way to try to elucidate the reply we are looking for.

I found your comment about the settings for passwording in app world extremely helpful and informative. You should have been given that information, but you found it yourself, as many of us have found things. Amazingly you took the time to inform others. Many thanks for that.

This forum is excellent, as are the members. I hope that you will continue to use the forum.

One thing that is appears apparent is that RIM do not monitor the forum, nor respond to the technical questions of some of the knowledgeable members. There are problem requests, but RIM never feedback. That is a shame.

Regards

Ross

Regards to all (except BB)
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I am a father of 8 year old twins. My twins have had their playbooks since they were 6. I did teach them about using the playbook. They deleted some games and LEARNED not to do it. I do wish some more parental controls were in place but I now use a separate wifi for the kids and use open dns to protect them form many bad sites. Ao far they use only you tube for angrybird, annoying orange and xmas clip.

I did supervise my children when they use their playbooks, maybe some parents think these are babysitting tools but it is more fun to do together.

Saved games in a special folder would be nice but its a fact of life even on other platforms.

I had to pay for a free game too. Its just a buck. I think you wasted a long time on a trivial thing. If my kids would do the same as the exaple I give they would complain about everything and nothing would get done.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

When all is said and done, I DO agree with Hothead that I would like to see more parental controls. Especially when it comes to installing / uninstalling apps.

My daughter's iPod allows me to control this so I can be sure that she's not using social apps. Also, I can disable the browser and ensure that she cannot browse the internet unsupervised.

What I'd love to see from RIM is some kind of home version of BIS so that we can use the IT policies that businesses love. I do believe that there is a strong USP for this. As children grow up in a more social-connected world, we as parents want to keep track of them and make sure that they are not misbehaving.

Parental controls are the tip of the iceberg, educating our kids is important, ultimately we need tools to help us do all this.

Anyway, my 2 pence.

Thanks for bringing it up, Hothead - I think that there is a lot of ways to make BlackBerry utilise where it's strong in the home. Glad to see a good discussion about it, too.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.

rossjackson01 wrote:

This forum is excellent, as are the members. I hope that you will continue to use the forum.

One thing that is appears apparent is that RIM do not monitor the forum, nor respond to the technical questions of some of the knowledgeable members. There are problem requests, but RIM never feedback. That is a shame.

This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the message upon registration.

Hothead, I only suggest that you give them proper training on the PlayBook. I will expect you'll do the same before handing them keys to your car in a few years, or before crossing through traffic on a street. It's just parenting, been there myself.

AND, I agree there could be more parental controls as you mentioned, and hopefully developers could create some locks on specific modules such as have been created for BlackBerry smartphones.

And, if you do read the statement "which is below the industry standard and which unfortunately extends to their support network," I do think that is insulting to this forum which has many highly experienced and helpful users here. Agree or not, that's my opinion on Hothead's statement, and how I feel about this forum which RIM has created for users to get peer to peer assistance. We're actually way above industry standard.

And yes, Asphalt Adreneline was one of those apps with a limited free download period. Sorry.

Knowledge Base Updates