Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
jlt2013
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook glass repair

Hi,

My son dropped my PB today, face down on a hard floor (thanks son!), everything works perfectly still (thank goodness), it appears to be just the glass. There are very fine hairline cracks across the surface but everything else is fine. 

I looked online for a suitable place to get the glass repaired, there are so many websites with claims to be able to fix Playbooks, some websites look a bit shady. Anyone know a trusted, maybe even certified/recommended by RIM company that can replace the glass? I read somewhere that RIM don't offer this repair? I have had the PB a while so i know i will have to pay for the repair.

I am in the UK, East Anglia.

Thanks.

J

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Playbook glass repair

if your handy, you could get the digitizer from ebay or the likes for about 50 USD

I dont know of a UK repair place, sorry

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

I think it may be cheaper to pop down to Currys  and get a new Playbook. 

My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

I would send the PB to RIM service directly.

There are many places that sell displays and can replace them. The problem is you don't know if the display is new, or was taken from another PB that had problems and etc.

Unfortunately the cost of the screen with the labor could come close or exceed the cost of a new PB.  I would consider to get a new PB instead of fixing it. Once a device like this is dropped there is a chance there could be a slight hair crack in the circuit board or something else was disturbed and it may show some time later. I have seen this happen to devices using the type of technology used in these devices.

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

[ Edited ]

jerryg50 wrote:

I would send the PB to RIM service directly.

In the UK? no  it will have to be a third-party outfit like this one

http://www.blackberryrepairs.com/save-details.php?u=1&legacy_id=2788

£90 plus any unexpected problems they may find, like micro-USB for another £50 and you will wish you hadn't. 

My Device: Blackberry Playbook

Thanks All for your replies, sadly i think that there may be more damage than i thought, the sound is now crackling :smileysad: i think i am best to buy a new one as a couple of you have said. I just hate throwing things away!

Thanks.

J

Please use plain text.