Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Contributor
mark811
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: wifi only

Playbook on same workgroup name

I see a few posts refer to putting your Playbook on the same Workgroup name as your home network.
Not something I can do, it just causes problems for me by knocking all other devices off the network.
I have them all working fine together by having the Playbook with a different workgroup name and am still able to map the Playbook via: ip address or name, it would just be nice to know what the problem is.

On my network:- 3 PC’s, 1 Laptop (wifi), Iomega NAS, Samsung S3 phone (wifi), Ipad 3 (wifi), 2 WD media players, TV, Bluray player, Nintendo Wii and a Xbox360. All on same worgroup name and 100% rock solid, add in the Playbook on same workgroup and half hour later nothing can see each other, Playbook on a different workgroup name and all can see each other fine again.
I’m in UK with a Virginmedia Superhub router.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860
My Carrier: Cogeco

Re: Playbook on same workgroup name

I would be interested in knowing (Not familiar with the hub) if your setup is dual band. I have setup my PlayBook on the 5.0 Ghz band and everything else on 2.5 Ghz.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
hvacdon
My Device: 1. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 clean load for work 2. Playbook 32G OS 2.1.0.1314 with sideloaded apps and games 3. Z10

Interesting, but I have not had this issue with my numerous devices connected and all is solid.  However, I have observed on an activity log notation produced by my router (Ericsson Turbo Hub), that my pb takes over as the master/server for the workgroup.  As you may know, on any MS workgroup, one device is always appointed as the server.  This usually doesn't cause any issues.

I have two playbooks and the router will pick one or the other as master.  I haven't tried changing the workgroup name on the playbook.  I connect into a variety of wireless networks, with different workgroup names.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mark811

Lost_at_Sea wrote:
I would be interested in knowing (Not familiar with the hub) if your setup is dual band. I have setup my PlayBook on the 5.0 Ghz band and everything else on 2.5 Ghz.

Superhub is not dual band, it only does 2.4 or 5Ghz one at a time, have tried 5Ghz with just Playbook on wifi but it still knocks wired computers off.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mark811

hvacdon wrote:

Interesting, but I have not had this issue with my numerous devices connected and all is solid.  However, I have observed on an activity log notation produced by my router (Ericsson Turbo Hub), that my pb takes over as the master/server for the workgroup.  As you may know, on any MS workgroup, one device is always appointed as the server.  This usually doesn't cause any issues.

I have two playbooks and the router will pick one or the other as master.  I haven't tried changing the workgroup name on the playbook.  I connect into a variety of wireless networks, with different workgroup names.

Master browser does seem to be an answer, all other devices disappear one by one which I believe could be when they each check network to update workgroup/master browser ??

Have had a Google around and found others with same problem, but none have an answer as to why.

When my son visits, his Playbook does the same if on same workgroup but he has no problem at home.

Edging towards blaming my Router.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

But at least you know the workaround for playbooks sharing virgin hubs. I.e change workgroup name in playbook from WORKGROUP to something else.  If everything else works it's just a mystery not a problem.

New OS in (maybe) February anyway.  

You're completly right, giving myself a headache over nothing. lol
Please use plain text.
Contributor
davidbaldwin
My Device: curve + playbook
My Carrier: rogers

Mine is also on the same workgroup name as my home network.  I thought this would be necessary to be able to share files.  I stumbled across this error in my main desktop's event viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: bowser
Event ID: 8003
Level: Error
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PLAYBOOK that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{6D04C7BD-9F59-4677-A71B-A2EBCD759. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
----------------------

The PLAYBOOK should not believe it is the Master Browser.   I don't know if this is a huge issue, but I am trying to solve some glitches involving network connectivity, and this IS coming up as an ERROR in my event log.  Is the solution as simple as changing the workgroup on the PlayBook to something different?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mark811

davidbaldwin wrote:

Mine is also on the same workgroup name as my home network.  I thought this would be necessary to be able to share files.  I stumbled across this error in my main desktop's event viewer:

Log Name: System
Source: bowser
Event ID: 8003
Level: Error
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer PLAYBOOK that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{6D04C7BD-9F59-4677-A71B-A2EBCD759. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
----------------------

The PLAYBOOK should not believe it is the Master Browser.   I don't know if this is a huge issue, but I am trying to solve some glitches involving network connectivity, and this IS coming up as an ERROR in my event log.  Is the solution as simple as changing the workgroup on the PlayBook to something different?

Yes, just change the Playbook workgroup to anything else.

On your PC use "Map Network Drive" for your Playbook by it's ip address,  (\\192.168.0.**\media)

Please use plain text.