Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
Phillaw
My Device: Playbook

Playbook only works when charger plugged in...

First post I was abroad and playbook got splashed with water. I turned in off immediately and left it to dry for a couple of days. Since then it has only worked when plugged in with the rapid charger (orange tipped). As son s I take plug out it turns off. That said for one day it seemed to be working on the holidays as I removed the plug successfully and it remained on but had no success since then. Battery sign gives impression is charging but since last night the charge has gone from 54% to 61%. Tried stack charging and debricking. Suspect I've killed the battery but cannot understand the inglorious day of working. The splash was quite a lot but It was never submerged. I bought it at Christmas have no idea if under warranty. Any help appreciated. PL
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook only works when charger plugged in...

You should have a one year warranty, but water damage may void the warranty.

I'd try to return it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Phillaw

To the shop I bought it or blackberry ?
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Either.

I'd start with calling your PlayBook support number.

www.blackberry.com/playbook

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor I
chaosdivine
My Device: BB PlayBook (32 GB Wi-Fi OS 2.1.0.1314) and Torch 9810 (OS 7.1.0.746)

[ Edited ]

It might be worth it to pry the back lid cover off and let things really dry out to remove the possibility of residual moisture.  I mean you can run some risks of damge to the cover if you force things too hard but at this point it might not matter to you. I think your warranty is shot with water damage and even a call to blackberry is going to cost you some money so have your credit card handy if you call them. I have seen videos on YouTube about PlayBook disassembly and it took about 1min to take the lid off and it was not hard to do with proper plastic removal tools or firm guitar pics. It might not improve anything though.

There are battery and harness replacements available off of ebay but the surgery involved in transfer is extensive and not worth it. My advice is to perhaps look into getting a used PlayBook through kijiji or some such service and use this one as spare parts. A tablet that must be tethered to the wall socket would be kind of annoying unless you make it a permanent kitchen or bathroom unit.

Super Contributor
TexTucker
My Device: pb

Phillaw wrote:
To the shop I bought it or blackberry ?

As you used the word "shop", not "store", can I assume you are a British and it came from somewhere like  Currys? 

Take it back, but don't mention water if you want it replaced, that's a void condition. For example Apple have water detectors in their cases specifically to void warranties. chances are they will replace it under UK law as there are no repair facilities in UK. 

If you can't face telling porkpies, you will have to replace it at your expense or try to fix it yourself. 

Thanks.