Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
nasoj007
My Device: Torch 9800, Playbook

Playbook opens and closes apps randomly, constantly

I have a 32gig playbook that all of a sudden has gone haywire. The screen goes nuts like someone is inside playing around, apps open and close randomly to the point I can't do anything. I've tried reseting, 3 button reset, managed to do a security wipe but nothing helps. It does it if its plugged in charging or not, I've looked through a few posts and this seems to happen for time to time but very few people have posted any solution. I will try to reinstall the OS when I get home but with the thing going haywire I'm not sure I can get it to connect to do that. Is there any solution to this? What caused it?

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea
My Device: PlayBook 64 GB & Torch 9860

Re: Playbook opens and closes apps randomly, constantly

After you did the Wipe, did it reinstall the latest OS?
New Contributor
nasoj007

RE-installing the OS is the only step I haven't tried at this point, I even did the 'let the battery go completly dead' suggestion I read somewhere. After doing a few things the weirdness seems to have calmed down, it will randomly open or close apps and such but only at random intervals, not constantly like before. I'll likely do an OS reinstall tonight... soon as I track down the info

Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Here is the procedure. Read it over first, then do it.
You need to follow these instructions to "debrick" your PlayBook:
1. Do a backup of your PlayBook using your computer and BlackBerry Desktop Software version 7 installed. It can be downloaded from http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/
2. After the backup is finished, unplug the PlayBook and on the PlayBook press and hold down the power button until the unit forces the device off.
3. With the Desktop Software still open on your computer and the PlayBook powered off, connect the PlayBook to your computer once again.
4. You should see an error screen from Desktop Software popup with the options to Retry, Update, or Cancel.
Very quickly choose the Update option.
5. All information will on your PlayBook will be erased and a reload of the Software will commence to install on the PlayBook.
6. Once this is complete your PlayBook will go back through the initial (as if new) setup wizard (entering the BlackBerryID, etc., and then you can perform a restore using Desktop Software to return your personal data from the backup. Applications which you downloaded from AppWorld won't restore, but they can be easily reinstalled using AppWorld > MyWorld section of AppWorld.
New Contributor
nasoj007

Ah, thanks. As soon as the battery is charged back up enough I'll give it a shot.
New Contributor
nasoj007

Followed those steps and re-installed the OS but the problem still exists. I'll work fine for a bit then go spastic and start flipping through apps, opening and closing windows, etc.
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

That procedure was supposed to totally wipe everything and then reinstall. The problem must be elsewhere. How old is the PlayBook?
New Contributor
nasoj007

Old enough it's likely not covered by a warranty, very disappointing :smileysad:
Forums Veteran I
Lost_at_Sea

Call them. They may be interested. Some others has a similar problem.
BlackBerry Playbook Help desks:
Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
Germany: 0800 1816530 (Gebührenfrei)
North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)
UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)
Outside UK: +44 1753 558400
Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181
New Contributor
nasoj007

Meh, can't hurt to try I guess. I'll try them tomorrow, thanks for your help.