Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® PlayBook™

New Contributor
limbrey
My Device: Playbook 16GB

Playbook - powers off unless plugged in ... << 8-|

Here's a fun challenge for you.

My playbook (latest OS, 2.1.1314) will only work when it's plugged in.  Actually, it will survive for about 10 seconds on battery power but then fail.  It's sitting in a rapid charger, with the green light glowing steady, and when it's booted, the battery is showing 100%.  Take it out of the charger, and within a few seconds, the screen and LED go dark; and the device will only boot again when connected to the power (USB or rapid charger).

I've re-installed the OS via Blackberry desktop; and with that - taken all apps and media off.  But the same behaviour remains.

I've not found any help on other forums for this particular fault.  I have not yet cracked the case open to take a look - but that's my next resort, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Grateful for some help.  

TVM

-Limbrey

Forums Veteran I
jarviser
My Device: Two PB's

Re: Playbook - powers off unless plugged in ... << 8-|

[ Edited ]

If it's out of warranty and you're prepared to take the back off, the only practical thing that people have tried which might help is remove the battery connector and replace after a light clean with an eraser or similar. 

BBBatt.jpg

My Device: Playbook 16GB

I think that must be it - the Playbook is not tolerant of minor bumps.  Thanks for posting - will go for it, and post results...

Contributor
MrDavid
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000; Blackberry Playbook

Limbrey, I came across your post today... I am experiencing an identical issue with my Playbook purchased in Sept 2011, with discussion started here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-PlayBook/Only-Operating-When-Plugged-In-Battery-Is...

My issue is the same... I can boot normally when the tablet is in the dock, and my battery icon shows 99-100% charge.  The moment the tablet comes out of the dock, it goes dark and has to be booted in the dock again.

Restoring the tablet via BB Desktop Manager did not work, nor did the stack-charging method suggested for those whose battery has gone to 0%.  If the OS is showing a full charge, then either the OS contains an error that is not properly reading the battery level or, more likely, there is a problem in the battery's connection.

Since I am out of warranty, I opened the back of the Playbook as suggested in Knottyrope's post, but could find nothing wrong with the connectors.  I have not yet gone so far as to remove the battery post connections and clean them, which will have to be my next step.

If cleaning the battery connectors works, I will keep you posted.  If you find a solution, please do the same, as I'm almost to the stage where I'm going to have to buy another Playbook.

Contributor
MrDavid
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000; Blackberry Playbook

2/14/13 Update: Sadly, disconnecting the battery, cleaning the connectors, and reconnecting it did not work.  I went so far as to pick up a OEM battery & tray on eBay, disassembled the Playbook completely, and rebuilt it using the replacement battery.

As suspected, I had a bad battery pack in my PB that was causing the problem.  HOWEVER, I would strongly caution that if you have not taken down and rebuilt electronics in the past, replacing the battery & tray in a Playbook is no easy task.  The battery tray sits underneath the motherboard and the majority of the connections for the speakers are snaked through openings in the tray, making disassembly and reassembly a difficult task.  I managed to break a speaker wire connection during my disassembly, and considering the volitile nature of the lithium batteries used in the Playbook, I am reluctant to put a soldering post anywhere near it.  As it stands, I have no right channel audio due to my own clumsy mistake.

Long story short, I'm going to simply pick up a new Playbook.  Battery issues aside, I really like this tablet!